Gloves

Author
DWags541
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2012/05/25 01:12:27 (permalink)

Gloves

Come July, our HD is changing rules and making it mandatory to wear gloves if you are to be handling either cooked or uncooked food. You are allowed to handle food with clean hands if it is to be cooked. But things like buns, or condiments, etc, must all be handled with gloved hands.
I am sure these rules are common in various HDs around the country. I was wondering how you've dealt with some of the issues of glove wearing.

I just wanted to list my personal peeves with glove wearing:
Does not necessarily encourage handwashing if hands are covered most of the time.
Hands get sweaty and uncomfortable.
Lack of sensitivity in hands due to covering.
Lack of dexterity when doing detailed work, like chopping vegetables.
Costs of purchasing disposable gloves.
Environmental effects of disposable gloves.
Gloves can get contaminated and pass it to food as would bare hands. (false sense of security)

I did take some time to see a hot dog vendor recently who was not wearing gloves, serve a sandwich. He skillfully manipulated the bun and dog by using tongs and his fingers through the wax/foil paper that ultimately wrapped the sandwich.
To me, I think learning how to not touch the food would be the easiest thing to do rather than start utilizing gloves. Has anyone tried those loose fitting plastic gloves? We use vinyl gloves but only if someone doesn't want to get their hands "oniony" when chopping or if they have a bandaid on their hand/finger.

23 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1