The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ardy & Ed's (Oshkosh, WI)

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4716
Ardy & Ed's (Oshkosh, WI) Thu, 05/31/12 10:51 AM (permalink)
A couple of Saturdays ago I didn't have anything really pressing at home and since it was such a nice day I decided to keep one of my promises to myself and head up to Oshkosh to Ardy & Ed's Drive In, which has been mentioned a few times here.

Along with car service there are a few picnic tables out back, so I parked on the side street and staked my claim.  It only follows that the first thing I saw was the back of the building.

There are windows on 3 sides of the building and while the skating carhops handle the orders to the cars and tables it's also possible to place a walkup order, whether for yourself or for man's best friend.

Drink enough root beer and you'll be glad to see this.

The marquee.

The bigger sandwich on the right is the Drive-In Double, which is a burger on top of a Klement's bratwurst patty.  I had initially planned on getting just one regular burger but then I found a BOGO coupon on A & E's website...so I got two.  The root beer was cold and refreshing without being too sweet or too carbonated; it's served draft-style and is made fresh daily, but I don't know how much of it is from scratch.

The burgers were hot off the griddle and pretty good, but what I really noticed was the pillowy softness and bready flavor of the buns.  Wherever they were from, they hadn't left there too long ago.

The Drive-In Double came on a more substantial bun that had been griddle-toasted, and a slice of American cheese separated the burger and the brat patty.

This was a filling sandwich but as often happens with this kind of combination the bratwurst seasonings tended to overpower the burger a little bit, and I would've liked just a little more balance.  I'd still order it again, though.

Easydoesit had suggested I try the "Ho-Made BBQ" but I'm just not a fan of Sloppy Joe-style sandwiches, so I passed.

There's a public park and boat launch across US-45 so after eating I headed over to check it out.  Lake Winnebago is Wisconsin's largest in-state lake.

I enjoyed my lunch but what takes things up a notch are the setting and the history.  Ardy & Ed's is an established tradition great for a family dinner on a summer evening, a first date for teenagers, a group of fishermen or boaters looking to fuel up before or after a day on the water, or even some fool willing to drive 90-some miles just to check it out.

Brad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com