Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD)

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
2012/06/02 10:57:00 (permalink)

Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD)

After watching this week's DDD show featuring it - and as it is fairly near, Mrs. Metro and I just had to visit Pecan Lodge BBQ in Dallas: http://www.pecanlodge.com/ .

Along with the typical Guy Fieri "treatment" this fairly new enterprise has won a TON of praise from the press:  Dallas Morning News "Best New Restaurant 2011", D Magazine "Best BBQ in Dallas", etc.  So, even though it is in a very sketchy 'hood we decided to visit and endure the 45 minute wait that probably is typical for any joint recently featured on DDD.  And, more importantly, Full-Gospel ( http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2010/08/pecan-lodge.html ) gave it ****, exceptional for a "non-Austin" joint.

The food:

Brisket - a bit dry, but it was good that the sauce was served on the side as it was very pungent and somewhat overwhelming.

Pulled pork - the best I've had in Texas; absolutely succulent.  The sauce that accompanied it was a play on Eastern Carolina, but it did have some tomato in it and was far more sweet than spicy and was actually "not bad".

Ribs - dry and over-smoked.

Mac 'n Cheese - excellent: creamy goodness topped with bits 'o bacon.

Even though I am not a big eater anymore I was disappointed by the portions on my $12 ribs and pulled pork 'two meat platter': enough pork for a small sandwich, only two 4" ribs, and about 5 forkfulls of mac 'n cheese.  Maybe they were "cutting corners" due to the increased volume.  If so, that was a poor business decision insofar as repeat business goes.  It would have been better for them to have posted the "sold out" sign before serving dry brisket or cutting portions.  From what I hear about Franklin's and Snow's, "that's how they roll".

Bottom line:  I am convinced that Guy Fieri would rave about a deep-fried turd on a stick.  Not saying that Pecan Lodge was that bad, but it certainly did not live up to the "raves".  I'll wait to see what Anthony Bourdain has to say about Franklin's before venturing forth again based on a T.V. show. 

14 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1