New guy here, new truck almost here...

Author
TheSmokedMeatMilitia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2012/06/13 14:14:41 (permalink)

New guy here, new truck almost here...

Howdy, y'all!

I’m in the planning process of starting my own gourmet food truck, that specializes in high-end barbecue.  The whole premise of this, is to build a food truck that can implement as many “green” processes as possible, while utilizing exclusively local, organic, and sustainable foods.  I need some help in the financial department, and need to know what all of my options are.  Ideally, I’d like to use the truck itself as collateral, but I’m not sure how something like this goes.  I’ve been in the restaurant industry for 16+ years, and have a degree with honors from the Culinary Institute of America.  As much as I’d love to open a brick-and-mortar place, the sheer cost of building my “dream” restaurant is deep into seven figures; this isn’t attainable for MANY more years.  My tentative goal is to license, build, permit, stock, and get everything necessary, for under $80,000.  I realize this is a big chunk of money for anyone, but food trucks can be money machines. 

In the two weeks it’s been since I launched the idea, I already have 60+ people following it on Facebook ( ), and half a dozen Twitter (@SmkdMeatMilitia) followers.  As soon as it becomes a tangible object, it will take off like wildfire.  My whole career, everyone has asked me when I’m going to have my own place.  The food truck “scene” is becoming one of the most popular, and profitable, ways to open a restaurant.  I’ve spent my entire career, working for someone else, cooking someone else’s menus.  Now, it’s my turn.  I can’t even put into words, my level of motivation for making this not only my idea of perfect, but as profitable as it can be, while also having a minimal impact on the environment.

If you can give me as much information as possible, to get the ball rolling, I’d greatly appreciate it.  I’m looking to have the whole thing up and running by the holidays. This has been a lifelong dream of mine, to have my own place.  Just so happens that my “place” will have wheels on it now. I need help finding a commissary, and to secure financing.  I already have a truck builder (M&R Trailers), a smoker picked out (Cookshack Smartsmoker SM-260), vinyl wrap figured out, and a lot of the ways to spend the money (wisely) figured out, just need to figure out where it's gonna come from.

Thanks e'erybody!
--Evan

22 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1