Help with tip out percentages

Author
brentwseth
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2012/06/24 14:09:48 (permalink)

Help with tip out percentages

I work as a food runner for a restaurant in a 4.5 star hotel on the oceanfront, a very tourist heavy location. My last paycheck I averaged about 6.75/hr including my tips. The most I averaged in a day was about 9.00/hr, and that day was just hellish in terms of how busy we were. On a decent day, servers will make about $150 through tips, and will complain if they get anything less than $100. On those same decent days, I get about a $30 dollar tip for working 10 hours, which piles on top of my 3.50/hr.

I saw on some cash out receipts that our servers have, the percentage tip the food runner gets is 1.75%. I'm not sure if that's total tip or net sales percentage, but either way it seems a little low. I know I'm good at my job because I earned the nickname "The Machine" and am in the process of getting a promotion to expo on the weekends, where I'll make about $10-$12/hr, which I'm fine with.

I'm just wondering if the percentage tips I'm getting now is a fair amount (I've never really worked in food until this summer), and am looking for any suggestions on what to do. I'm not sure if there are any industry standards that are recommended for tip outs to food runners/other staff.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
B.S.

2 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1