Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
slaveforpizzaandsushi
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
2012/06/29 11:27:35 (permalink)

Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet

Hi,

Just throwing this idea out there. I live in Ontario, not far from Detroit.
Was wondering if there are Michiganders, or others who would interested in getting together for an greet and eat.

Not very familiar with the Detoit food places, but curious.

I look at other people's eat and greet and am envious and would like to participate in one closer to hom.

46 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4229
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 12:52:29 (permalink)
    Got a date in mind?  Not saying I could make this, but anything is possible.  This would be a good place to start planning an itinerary:
    http://www.lthforum.com/b...it=detroit&start=0

Buddy
    slaveforpizzaandsushi
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 14:01:47 (permalink)
    Thank you..for sending that BuddyRoadhouse.
    Likely something in August.
    I am not very familiar with Detroit..but i think i am more likely to meet and check out places in Detroit with other road food people than here in my little place of Canada.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 522
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 15:43:29 (permalink)
    I'd be interested as well. I live in TO but am slightly familiar with the D.

Are you looking at meeting at one place, one neighbourhood or doing a full on tour of the area??

Here are my Michigan blog write ups which are all in D or AA which is not that far.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b.../search/label/Michigan

Hope you have fun and hope to join you.

DT
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5062
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 18:22:07 (permalink)
    slaveforpizzaandsushi

I am not very familiar with Detroit..but i think i am more likely to meet and check out places in Detroit with other road food people than here in my little place of Canada.

For whatever reasons, for a large city Detroit seems to be kind of underrepresented here.  Finding a local to get the ball rolling might not be easy.

Slave, do you ever get a chance to travel?  If so, you might have better luck meeting other RFers in a city like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.

Then again, The Contingent has been waiting for years for Felix4067 to put together a Grand Rapids tour...maybe it'll happen when that next Guns 'N' Roses album comes out!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 18:34:41 (permalink)
    If you plan something for August, just remember, Milwaukee's Irish Fest is running August 16-19.  That, in and of itself, is no particular reason for concern.  But that Saturday typically also involves a Contingent meet up at Fred's Bar in Burlington, Wisconsin for a lunch of the "World's Best Burgers".  That might keep any Contingent members who would have made a Detroit trip from going.

Nothing special going on the rest of the month, so what are you thinking?

Buddy
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 20:48:24 (permalink)
    American or Lafayette Coney Island is a must. Eastern market is a great place too. The suburbs that make up Detriot are rich in ethnic food that is fantastic. I lived in MI for 17 yrs and a trip to Detroit for real Greek food was a welcome treat. Ann Arbor has alot of great food too. The Stern's have reviewed Zingerman's and it is quite good. Last MI visit was in May and a trip to Capt Nemo's in Belleville was a must..Best grinders still. Something about a place with a few tables and a counter where you can see the majic..My Grandpa would hold me up so I could watch..and they havent changed a thing. Perhaps I need to visit the family again??
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 20:51:52 (permalink)
    And Slaveforpizzaandsushi as a teen we would go to the Tunnel BBQ in Ontario. Is it still there?
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 21:40:03 (permalink)
    Wabbit

That should read Lafayette AND American Coney Island. Not OR.

DT
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 23:07:23 (permalink)
    Actually, the best Coney I had in Detroit was at a little "no-name", 24 hour diner near a cheap hotel (the one I was unfortunately staying at).  It was perfectly griddled, giving the natural casing a crisp, caramelized quality that really brought out the flavor of the dog.  I'm pretty sure I could retrace my steps and identify the joint.

Recognizing I would merely be a guest on this tour, I can only make suggestions, but my participation would certainly hinge on the places chosen to visit.  I can get excellent Greek food at about a hundred places here in Chicago, I don't need to travel 350 miles for a plate of saganaki.

There are several places mentioned in the LTHForum link that would be of interest.  Also, a return visit to Slows BBQ and Telway Systems for amazing old time diner burgers would be a strong draw.

slaveforpizza...This is your baby.  Thoughts?

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/06/29 23:08:42
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/29 23:45:32 (permalink)
    Unlikely that I could make this, but I always love Detroit area reviews (SO's family lives there, so we visit 1x to 2x a year).  I love Detroit.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/30 01:38:33 (permalink)
    kaszeta

Should this meet-up actually happen, I'm sure your input would be appreciated.

Buddy
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/06/30 17:39:47 (permalink)
    I have fond memories of Tunnel BBQ ... nice to be RE-minded.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8356
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/01 00:53:33 (permalink)
    Hey-was born in Detroit!! Would love to re visit!

slaveforpizzaandsushi
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/03 13:34:08 (permalink)
    Woo hoo..nice to read all these responses.

To answer some queries..yes Tunnel BBQ is still in existence. 

I will be in Chicago in late July/early August.

All I know of Detroit  eateries is due the people that I dated (Americans) We went to Eastern Market, Mexicantown, Tom's Oyster Bar, and one of my favorites..a basement restaurant in Hamtramack (it was Polish). 

Detroit once was called the Paris of North America..i guess there is some decline, but it is so full of interesting buildings and little neighbourhoods.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/03 14:22:29 (permalink)
    So, you gonna pick a date, or what?  It's looking like the weekend of 8/17-19 will be devoted to Irish Fest and/or a potential Milwaukee food tour with The Contingent.  The rest of the month is wide open if you set the date early enough and give people time to clear their schedules.

We can work out an itinerary as a group based on that LTHForum thread and other suggestions here at Roadfood.  It sounds like buffetbuster has been to the Polish restaurant you mentioned:
    http://www.roadfood.com/R...34/polish-village-cafe

Between Detroit metro and Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, I think there enough places to visit to make this a full weekend event.

Buddy
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/03 14:41:19 (permalink)
    Anthony Bourdain did a great episode on Detroit a few years ago. If you go to the No Reservations web page it was from Season 5 and called The Rust Belt. It lists the places he visited in the travel guide. Sorry I couldn't link it, my stupide laptop doesn't let me do cut and past!

Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 00:51:21 (permalink)
    Kland01s , I watched that .. I thought it was quite good. I lived in the Ypsi-AA for 17 years. I will try to make the trip. The Detriot area has alot to offer.. as Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor does also.  Afraid to go to Detroit .. Why?? anyone that is, is missing out on alot of good People and great food!  Haabs in Ypsilanti (michigan Ave" ) Has been making great food for at least 60 yrs.. My grandparents like to enjoy a nice steak there..When they were dating .. then married. I really liked the Chicken in the rough as they called it.. walked over to Depot town along the Huron River to get Ice cream. The area was a great place to grow up and the food is top notch!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 03:23:08 (permalink)
    Wabbit,
    Haab's and their "Chicken in the Rough" were favorites of ours for a number years, but the last couple visits were very disappointing.  They dropped their affiliation with the CitR franchise (even painting over the iconic golfing chicken mural http://chickenintherough.com/index.htm in the bar area) and are just making regular old fried chicken these days.  Our food was okay, but not what it was when Haab's was associated with CitR.  Where once I would have (and did) highly recommend it, I now would avoid Haab's in favor of other Ypsilanti options.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/07/04 15:20:17
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 06:14:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Buddy.. I lived in Ypsi from the time I was 2 til 19.. I had no idea they became a chain..

therbs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 06:31:33 (permalink)
    If you do it the weekend of aug 16 you will have to deal with the MASSIVE influx of people here for the Woodward Dream Cruise.
    therbs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 06:59:25 (permalink)
    I am living back inthee D, I cannot head this up but may join you. I know a number of places to go. Loui's Pizza in Hazel Park for Pizza and antipasto salad. Dragonmead brewery for great beer. Country Kitchen in Dearborn for the rockinist fatoush salad with chicken schwarma anywhere. Slows BBQ in Detriot. Roy's sqeeze in for a Big Squeeze with Cheese burger in Ypsi. right across the street from Roys is Bills rootbeer stand with killer coneys, looseburgers and home made root beer.

Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 11:00:05 (permalink)
    Therbs I like how you think.. The fest will be in  Ypsi , Depot town with a great classic car show in Aug. Roy's is another fond memory.. I understand they just re - opened Klucks!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 15:19:51 (permalink)
    Wabbit,
    Haab's was not a chain itself.  Chicken in the Rough was the franchise, with stores numbering in the hundreds at their peak (they're down to three locations now; two in the U.S. and one in Canada).  Some of their restaurants went under that name, others simply franchised the recipes and listed them as such on their menus.  There were several CitR spots on the west side of the state, in and around the Michigan City/New Buffalo area.  There were even a few here in the Chicago area.  The one in Skokie had a nifty architectural twist: The building was designed to look like the company's signature carry-out boxes, including the carrying handle resting on the roof!

As I'm sure you know, Haab's has a full menu, of which, CitR related items were only a small part.  One of my favorite items at Haab's was their late summer gazpacho, made fresh and from scratch only during the height of home grown tomato season.  Even that was a disappointment after they left the CitR group.

It gives me no pleasure to deliver this kind of bad news.  We really enjoyed Haab's food, service, and ambiance.  it was truly a shame when things went downhill.  Don't feel too bad for them, though.  I'm pretty sure the tourist buses still pull up, delivering scores of hungry out of towners ready to devour the once famous fried chicken.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/07/04 15:22:25
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3301
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/04 16:40:39 (permalink)
    Hey Buddy,
    Back in the 50's, when we moved into Lincolnwood, Novack's Chicken in the Rough was on Lincoln Avenue, north of the police station. There was another Chicken in the Rough in Northbrook on the south side of Dundee Road, on the long gone golf course property. Great chicken, rolls, and containers of honey for dipping. Don't remember the Skokie location.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/05 01:37:13 (permalink)
    I think they were on Main or Dempster, between Crawford and McCormick, north side of the street.  That was the one with roof that looked like a handle.

And don't forget the little bucket filled with warm water, brought to the table after dining, along with a few towels so you could clean up after handling the chicken.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/11 14:33:54 (permalink)
    Okay, it's "do or die" time.  Is anyone seriously interested in a Detroit meet-up anytime in the month of August?  If so, we need to lock in a date so everyone can adjust their schedules accordingly.  As stated earlier, we've got previous commitments the weekend of August 17-19.  Other than that, the month is wide open.  So, who's in?

If August doesn't work, what's the next best time to do this?  slaveforpizzaandsushi, this was your notion; what do you think about when we should do this thing?

If we're shooting for an August date, I need to know in the next 48 hours so I can make myself available.

Buddy

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/11 16:52:54 (permalink)
    As much as I would love to I will have to pass.

DT
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/12 09:51:02 (permalink)
    My August schedule sucks[1], but I don't want to get in the way of anyone else's meetup.  If I can join y'all, I will.

[1]  One week trip to Phoenix, and a two week trip to Iceland[2]
    [2]  Any roadfood recommendations for Iceland?  ;)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Anyone interested in Detroit, MI eat and greet 2012/07/12 15:10:59 (permalink)
    kaszeta
    Any roadfood recommendations for Iceland?  ;)

Wear a sweater.

Buddy
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1