The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Help with new Business idea.

Pop-tart-cart

• Total Posts: 5
Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 4:14 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Hello from sunny Auckland, New Zealand.
A very long time reader, first time poster. I have taken the plunge and am starting a small business from the back of a van in the Central business District.

I work a Monday to Friday 12:00-20:00hr job which does not pay all the bills as my wife is off work with a disability.

I would like to sell Pop Tarts during the morning rush from 0600-10:30am.

I was wondering as I am in NZ and want to know the best place to buy Pop Tarts via the United states. also has anyone heard of this before? What are your views if this would work?

As pop tarts are not sold in NZ, they are unique and would give me a very good selling point.

Thanks
Aaron

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
    Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 4:30 PM (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood!

I like a Pop-Tart at times...as long as it's frosted.

There was a Pop-Tart pop-up in Times Square a few years ago. Don't know if it was meant to be temporary or if that was the spin.

First...you have to check if/how you will be allowed to use Pop-Tarts as far as a name logo etc. You can contact these folks to begin...

http://www.poptartsworld.com/nyc

Or Tony the Tiger direct...

http://www.kelloggcompany.com/legal.aspx

I wouldn't be all-in with just Pop Tarts. See if you could determine a few other (at least) items with mysterious lore & if the price is right.... sell sell sell.
    <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 07/2/12 5:47 PM>

RestaurantBiz

• Total Posts: 36
      Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 7:09 PM (permalink)
      You'd need to check the laws - but I don't see why he couldn't sell Pop Tarts without Kellogg's approval. As for buying Pop Tarts wholesale from the U.S.

If New Zealanders aren't familiar with Pop Tarts it's all about marketing.

CCinNJ

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 7:13 PM (permalink)
        Using the name Pop Tart's not selling the product.

The brand names, slogans, characters and other trademarks, as well as the package designs of all Kellogg’s® products and promotions belong exclusively to Kellogg Company and /or its subsidiary companies, and are protected from copying and simulation under national and international trademark and copyright laws and treaties throughout the world.
        <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 07/2/12 7:29 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
          Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 9:32 PM (permalink)
          CCinNJ

Using the name Pop Tart's not selling the product.
          The brand names, slogans, characters and other trademarks, as well as the package designs of all Kellogg’s® products and promotions belong exclusively to Kellogg Company and /or its subsidiary companies, and are protected from copying and simulation under national and international trademark and copyright laws and treaties throughout the world.

I don't think he's talking about making the product. He's talking about buying the finished product and just re-selling it. Don't see a problem with that. It would be like a convenience store buying Coca Cola and reselling it.
          I would think Kellogs would jump at the chance to sell their product in NZ and would work with him on Marketing and promotion. If Kellogs already has distribution of other product lines in NZ, like cereals, it would just involve putting the product into their distribution system. I'd be surprised if Pop Tarts aren't already in the grocery stores
          over there.

CCinNJ

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 9:35 PM (permalink)
            I didn't say anything about marketing. His user name is Pop Tart Cart.Sooo...

Foodbme

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 9:37 PM (permalink)
              Pop-Tart-Cart.
              If you can get the product, try to get exclusive distribution rights. If others see it's successful, there will be competitors open overnight. Be prepared to move on quickly to the next new product like Twinkees or Hostess fruit pies. I'd carry all of them right from the get-go!
              <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 07/2/12 9:40 PM>

Pop-tart-cart

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 9:43 PM (permalink)
                I am sorry if I caused any confusion.

The name of the pop tart selling van will be "Mel's American Food". I have emailed Kellogg's in the USA and will hopefully get an answer soon. I have thought about twinkies.

In Auckland there are few choices for cheap/fast breakfast food. The major supermarkets did try and sell pop tarts and they went well but at $8.50us a pack of 6 they were too expensive. How much would they be from a US wholesaler? Can anyone help me find out?
                Should I change my user name?

on a side note:

I started a small hot dog cart called "Commie dogs" a long time ago which didn't do to well as I could not put the time into it. I have just got together with my brother in law and we are starting it up again.

The website is www.commiedogs.co.nz (please be aware it is very early stages)

<message edited by Pop-tart-cart on Mon, 07/2/12 9:46 PM>

Tristan225

• Total Posts: 350
                  Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 9:47 PM (permalink)
                  I'm thinking he's not talking about the same kind of sugary pop tarts we eat. I'm no business genius but I think you would have to sell one hell of a lot of pop tarts to make a living. Do they make meals of pop tarts in New Zealand? Can you put mustard and onions and chilli on one? Wait, something new to offer! Will they keep in the steam pan?

CCinNJ

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 9:51 PM (permalink)
                    [This post was marked as helpful]
                    Just checking Aaron.

Simply because they (like other companies) are very strict about the use of their trademarks and if/when they are used...it is within a project of their making. Companies are so tight with their TM's many chase people around EBay selling their own products...at the mention of the names and terms they hold.

Pop-tart-cart

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 9:51 PM (permalink)
                      I am talking about the same small heat and eat "pop tarts" that i loved when i was working in the USA.

It was going to be a "extra to pay" business not a full time job.

I appreciate all the help. I do not want any legal issues as that's a big headache I can not afford.
                      <message edited by Pop-tart-cart on Mon, 07/2/12 9:53 PM>

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
                        Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 10:00 PM (permalink)
                        You also need to check with NZ customs and see if there are any import tariffs on this type product.  Then you will need to determine a landed cost.  This involves getting the US distributor then choose a freight forwarder, get a quote from this forwarder on shipping cost.  This will be based on the quantity you are shipping.  I would not suggest using any air freight, as it will be way too costly.  Sea freight LCL is probably where to start.  This quote will include land freight from the distributor to a sea port, then sea freight costs, export formalities, then at port of entry import formalities, and finally land transport to your location.  If Kellogg's does provide you with a distributor, try to find one that is already shipping either to NZ, or perhaps a closer neighboring country in SE Asia.  Normally this type of purchase is handled by a specialty importer there in NZ.  We for instance deal with a specialty importer for Italy.  He purchases from many suppliers in Italy in bulk, then has the goods shipped to Thailand and he then distributes from here in smaller quantities.  If your direct importing, your quantities need to be high enough to justify all the costs associated with shipping and customs. 

CCinNJ

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 10:03 PM (permalink)
                          When you talk to them and you explain your idea...they will give you all of the information. That's the best way to make sure.

Pop-tart-cart

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 10:08 PM (permalink)
                            I can not thank you all enough. I did not consider a lot of these items.

I am really glad I posted a message now. I was a little unsure about it at first as I thought it might be a silly idea.

CCinNJ

Re:Help with new Business idea. Mon, 07/2/12 10:17 PM (permalink)
                              One other thing to check...Pop-Tarts have been discontinued and there is some mention about a "ban" at some point in the past in various places overseas due to I guess hot filling and kids (that's their words not mine) and maybe about some of the ingredients.. At least that was mentioned about Australia.

I don't think it's a silly idea. It took plenty of $$$$$$ to make a presence in Times Square. The exact concept might not work for various reasons but you keep thinking positive and something will happen!
                              <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 07/2/12 10:42 PM>

Foodbme

Re:Help with new Business idea. Tue, 07/3/12 3:45 AM (permalink)
                                I suggest you look for a commercial bakery in NZ who can make a similar product for you. The shipping costs from the USA is a deal breaker.
                                Toaster Strudels are a similar product.
                                http://voices.yahoo.com/kelloggs-pop-tarts-vs-pillsbury-toaster-strudel-337276.html?cat=22
                                Again, shipping costs will be a deal breaker 

CCinNJ

Re:Help with new Business idea. Tue, 07/3/12 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                  If you are already working 10 hours a day...keep to something somewhat simple in a supplemental income at first. That way...you don't jeopardize your day job or exhaust yourself with logistics investments or productions. You never want to chase after a dream and bank on it hoping it does not become a nightmare.

<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 07/3/12 7:47 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com