Storms and no power

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5406
2012/07/04 06:42:28 (permalink)

Storms and no power

Friday June 29th a huge storm rolled thru here and a lot of the rest of the mid-atlantic. A lot of damage around me but none in my immediate area. Reports of a lot of people w/o power. I'm fine.

Saturday about 930PM, 24 hrs after the storm my power goes out. It's still out 4 days later and maybe another 3 or 4 days. SUCKS big time.

I have a generator, mostly because PP would have needed power for her O2 machine. Fortunately we never needed it then. Saturday night I went ahead and had a shower about 30 mins later, so I would still have hot water. Went into to work. When I got home Sunday AM and power was still out I fired up the genny to power my freezer and fridge, a fan for me and my stereo for some tunes. Later added cell phone and iPad chargers. Thanks again Ralph Melton! The ipad has been great.

Sunday night back to work, genny shut down. Monday AM still no power, fired up the genny. Neighbor, 74 years old comes and ask if I could supply him some power for his freezer. Of course I can, glad to. His freezer is ~130 feet from my genny. I have 50ft of #12 extension cord left so I sent him to town for another 100ft. I insist he get either 12 or 10 gauge for that long of a run. When he gets back he's fussing about the cost, almost 125 bucks for 2 50 footers. I reming him of the 1,000+ bucks worth of food in the freezer.

We get the cord strung and I loan him a HD 3-way tap so he can power his fridge and a light or fan too. His wife, 72, says she'll bake me 2 pies for each day I supply power. :) ! She makes the BEST pie.

Well we're about to start the 5th day w/o power. Biggest problem is the heat. I'm having trouble sleeping during the day due to the heat. I'm able to cook and due most everything else except cool the house. Plenty of food and water put away but water supplies not needed, city water still on. So is landline phone & cellular. Only the damn power is out. Good thing I can buy more gasoline. Neighbor bought 6 gals yesterday. Thank you very much! I'm burning 6-8 gals a day.

To add insult to injury everyone North of my driveway has power. Insert multiple choice words here.

So, when I get home today we'll see. Fingers crossed, belly rubbed and prayers sent. I don't like ruffin it.

8 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1