Hot!"If You Bake It, He Will Come"

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10085
2012/07/09 14:21:00 (permalink)

"If You Bake It, He Will Come"

On a last minute decision, I took the two days off before the 4th of July, turning the holiday into five days off.  Looking for a cheap flight somewhere, I got lucky and found something reasonable into Des Moines.

Friday June 29, 2012

On the connection flight from Chicago O'Hare to Des Moines, I sat next to a young guy from Fort Dodge, Iowa.  He seemed to be really interested in my plans while in the Hawkeye State, as he couldn't believe anyone would come to Iowa on vacation.  This was a common theme throughout the trip.  Oh, Iowans love their home state and are proud to be from here.  They are just shocked that any outsiders think Iowa is a great place, too.

My plane was landing in Des Moines around 9:30PM.  Unfortunately, just about every restaurant I was interested in was already closed or closing at 10:00.  By the time I got my luggage, rented the car and headed into town, it was already 10:15.  I had asked the young guy on the plane for a downtown recommendation for late night dining and he told me to visit Fong's Pizza.  He let me know it is best known as late night drunk food, but his description of their crab rangoon pizza intrigued me.

It took two trips around the block, but I was lucky that a parking spot open on 4th Street right in front of the place.  It was kind of shocking to see so many people milling around in the downtown area, but this was obviously the district where young people go to party on weekend nights.  Right next door is an alleyway, with several college aged men peeing.  I walked into Fong's

and the first thing I noticed was that I was the oldest person here by at least two decades.  On a tv monitor,

they showed which slices were available.  I should have known better, but I did ask the bartender if they had crab rangoon.  He just gave me a sour look and pointed at the tv screen.  Ok, gotcha.  I ordered one of the Bacon and Corn on Spicy and one of the Onion and Cilantro on Garlic Black Bean.  Each wide slice was put on a paper plate and handed to me, along with a bottle of water.

While waiting for my change, one young guy squirmed between me and the bar, where there wasn't much room.  He did this to talk to his buddy.  As his well intoxicated buddy started to get off of his bar stool, he slid into his friend, causing both of them to tumble into me.  I saw this coming and had one arm out to push them away, while hanging onto the slices of pizza with the other hand.  Foolishly, I reacted with anger and swore at them, as I have absolutely no patience with stupid, drunk behavior.  Luckily for me, these guys paid no attention, got up and just walked away.

The overwhelming taste of the Bacon and Corn on Spicy

was butter.  The kernels of corn were extremely buttery and that is a good thing.  There was a fair amount of bacon on the thin crusted pizza, but no spicy taste at all.  I enjoyed it for what it was.  The Onion and Cilantro on Garlic Black Bean

was less successful.  It seems the entire slice was burnt and too hard to eat, so it got thrown away after only a few bites.

Fong's Pizza
223 4th Street
Des Moines, IA
515-323-3333

Right across the street from Fong's Pizza is a place reviewed on Roadfood called Java Joe's Coffeehouse.  Grabbing something sweet to take back to the hotel room seemed like a good idea.  And they had plenty of muffins, cookies and other assorted pastries to choose from. 

But, some peanut butter scotchies

sitting on the counter caught my eye.  Imagine my surprise when I opened it at the hotel to find out that it was basically a rice crispies treat, with peanut butter icing on it.  Not bad, but we must have a different idea of what a scotchie is.

Java Joe's Coffeehouse
214 4th Street
Des Moines, IA
515-288-5282

Much more to come.....           
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/07/09 14:34:20

118 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1