The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Need advice on starting up an italian ice push cart business

Globalturtle

• Total Posts: 3
Need advice on starting up an italian ice push cart business Tue, 07/10/12 3:32 AM (permalink)
Ok so Ive recently come up with the idea of starting an italian ice push cart business. I have made my cart from scratch (looks very good, can post pictures later in the week) and have some questions on keeping the ice cold. Basically, my cart is just plywood covered with some 1 inch insulator sheet. Most of the cracks are sealed except for the ones on top of the cart. So Ive been reading and saw how people say the ice can stay cold for up to 8 hours (In a day I would not be working for more than 6). Would that be good enough or should I go with dry ice (anyone have any experience with dry ice) or the reusable cold plates. Any advice on keeping it cold?
Also, what are some popular flavors, to start of I was thinking of getting mango-cherry, coconut, cookies and cream ice cream, and chocolate. 
Lastly, im starting my business in NY (brooklyn to be exact) and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with permits in this area. Im 15 so im pretty sure Im not even old enough to get them but I see tons of ice cart guys going around that im sure dont have any permits.

Any additional advice on getting started, wish me luck! 

Globalturtle

Re:Need advice on starting up an italian ice push cart business Tue, 07/10/12 11:57 PM (permalink)
    Bump

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
      Re:Need advice on starting up an italian ice push cart business Wed, 07/11/12 12:49 AM (permalink)
      I admire your desire to want your own business at such a young age.

There are many obstacles in NYC and the first would be being a legal vendor. At your age you would need to go through the NYC BOE for working papers (just for employment).

The problem with going out there without proper permits/license/insurance is at your age...whoever is responsible for you...will also have to answer the call. The risk you take is not just about you. There might be others on the street doing their thing but at the end of the day if/when something happens...it's just about them.
      <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 07/11/12 12:52 AM>

Globalturtle

Re:Need advice on starting up an italian ice push cart business Thu, 07/12/12 1:03 AM (permalink)
        Bump, Best way to keep ice cold?

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
          Re:Need advice on starting up an italian ice push cart business Thu, 07/12/12 1:25 AM (permalink)
          I've never seen anything other than a cooler used here.  Block ice will stay frozen a long time, if you keep the blocks stacked and out of the water.  You might want to just test with a simple cooler and some blocks stacked with a rack at the bottom, letting the water drain away into another container and see how long it lasts on a hot day.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com