The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Late night roadfood in upstate NY and VT (between Poughkeepsie and Woodstock, VT)

hmm

Late night roadfood in upstate NY and VT (between Poughkeepsie and Woodstock, VT) Tue, 07/17/12 10:34 PM (permalink)
My traveling partner and i will be driving from Poughkeepsie, NY to Woodstock, VT this weekend, and we can't leave Poughkeepsie until 10 at night, so this will be a late night adventure (not my usual traveling style). I hate to give up a chance to scope out some roadfood. Can anyone recommend any late night/open-all-night diners or such along the way? It looks like we'll be mainly on the Taconic State Parkway in New York and U.S. 7/State rt. 11 in Vermont. We're willing to make some detours or consider other routes, but can't lengthen the trip too much (since we're already getting in at 2 or 3 in the morning :) )

Thanks!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
    Re:Late night roadfood in upstate NY and VT (between Poughkeepsie and Woodstock, VT) Wed, 07/18/12 11:19 PM (permalink)
    hmm, welcome to posting on the boards!  Don't know if I can be of much help as most of the places I know in that area are open during the day.  I'd suggest making a few phone calls to find out how late they might be open.  
    1.)  West Taghkanic Diner in Ancram, NY
          Roadfood review - http://www.roadfood.com/R...4/west-taghkanic-diner
    I've never been but having been dreaming of it ever since I saw the roast turkey dinner picture in the review.  I checked their website and they are open until 11pm on Fridays and 10pm on Saturdays and Sundays.  However, as the Roadfood rule goes, CALL AHEAD!!  The website may not be accurate, they may close early if business is slow, family commitments, etc...  So if you're leaving on Friday, there may be a shot at getting there before 11pm.  

I ran a half marathon in Woodstock in June 2011 and lots of great places to eat but they roll up the sidewalks pretty early in that town so I don't think there are any late night options.  
    Here's a list of VT Roadfood restaurants:  http://www.roadfood.com/R...City&ps=1&s=VT
    And my Trip Report from my visit to Woodstock last year:  http://www.roadfood.com/F...427&mpage=1#656656
    If you're in Woodstock for breakfast you could try hitting up the Wasp Snack Bar.  Hope you find some tasty vittles on your journey!  

seafarer john

Re:Late night roadfood in upstate NY and VT (between Poughkeepsie and Woodstock, VT) Thu, 07/19/12 10:44 AM (permalink)
      The Taconic  is a beautiful ride- too bad you're driving it at night - it  pretty much avoids towns and villages along the way - any places that may be open till midnight or so are likely to be miles off the highway. I'd suggest you pack a take-out lunch in Poughkeepsie to sustain you along the way. And,btw, the Taconic is a speed trap - stay within the  posted speeds on that road.

Cheers, John  

Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
        Re:Late night roadfood in upstate NY and VT (between Poughkeepsie and Woodstock, VT) Thu, 07/19/12 11:08 AM (permalink)
        I'll be in the Poughkeepsie area myself in a couple weeks. I went last summer also and one day ate breakfast at a place called 44 Diner. Their website has a menu and says it's open until midnight Fridays and Saturdays. Google up "44 Diner Poughkeepsie." I can't post links at the moment.

hmm

Re:Late night roadfood in upstate NY and VT (between Poughkeepsie and Woodstock, VT) Thu, 07/19/12 9:03 PM (permalink)
          Thanks so much everyone!! I knew it was a long-shot but worth asking. billyboy, looks like you had a great trip! 

Now we're considering getting up early Saturday morning to do the drive ... more conducive to seeing that scenery and eating breakfast along the way. Still not sure if that will work. Either way I'll report back!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com