The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Thu, 07/26/12 9:23 AM (permalink)
Serious Eats slide show, hat tip to John.

http://www.seriouseats.co...jersey-slideshow.html#

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
    Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Thu, 07/26/12 11:16 AM (permalink)
    Thanks for posting this. And, on Slide 7, the Strublekraut from Marci's truck, I realized where I had previously tasted something resembling "Slawsa" (see thread below). If Marci's Kraut isn't the same recipe (or vice versa), it's dam close.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
      Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 1:33 AM (permalink)
      Anytime anyone publishes a list, there are always those who say, "Hey, what about XYZ's?" "You forgot Joe Blows."
      So John, with the trappings of Celebrity, come the slings and arrows of detractors!
      We, your loyal supporters, know and understand the Depth & Breadth of your Genius & Knowledge.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
        Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 7:21 AM (permalink)
        Unfortunately our time was limited. We had to cut the trip short. Charlies Pool Room and Rutt's was on the list. There might be a part 2.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
          Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 8:50 AM (permalink)
          I think it would make a great series!

I cross my fingers that Boulevard Drinks is part of a trip...someday.

Marci's Dogs

• Total Posts: 4
            Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 5:36 PM (permalink)
            Hi all This is Rob owner of Marci's Dog House. I'd like to address comment from Ken that MY recipe is "damn close" to slawsa couldn't be any further from the truth. Slawsa FYI is a term to describe a mix of coleslaw and salsa! People do twists and make there own unique versions of slawsa. Strubelkraut is not made,prepped, spiced, and or served anywhere near that of slawsa! Maybe the coloring or picture may have reminded you of that stuff but in No way is it Damn close! Coleslaw is mixed with salsa and other products including milk, buttermilk, mayo to make slawsa from what I am told! (I've never made it and do not plan on making it for our truck! Strubelkraut starts with sauerkraut mixed with many different mustards spices relishes and takes 6 hrs of cook time to prepare a batch. So I am sorry to say that statement dn close can't be further from the truth. We take a lot of pride in that product it is unique and wasn't taken or copied from anything but two daily recipes myself and Scott strubels recipes that merged together! It is pretty unique thanks for your time!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
              Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 6:31 PM (permalink)
              All I can say is your Strubelkraut sounds (and looks) great. I wish I could try some.

Marci's Dogs

Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 7:18 PM (permalink)
                Thanks Michael, we have received a good deal of compliments, and a few people say its similar to old school hungarian kraut. I do not know what that is. But there is a story on how this came together. A colaboration of sorts. A ton of trial and error, finally have this result. We don't like that someone would call it something that isn't even close to the product in taste texture or even being that Strubelkraut is served hot, and slawsa is more like a 10 minute salsa thrown together and served cold. We just do not want to be misrepresented.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                  Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 10:47 PM (permalink)
                  Whoa...
                  WTF.
                  All I was doing is comparing your strubelkraut to the taste and appearance of the jar of Slawsa that I bought the other day. The ingredients according to the label are: Cabbage, sugar, Mustard (vinegar, water,mustard seed, salt, tumeric, paprika) Green Bell Peppers, onion, vinegar, carrots, salt, Xanthan Gum, Spices, Yellow #5.

No mayo, no milk, no buttermilk, no salsa. Get your facts straight before jumping to conclusions.

And in no way did I imply that it was better (or worse) than your Strublekraut (which, actually, I enjoyed very much on my 3 visits), just very similar and I stand by that.  I have no idea how long it takes them to make thier Slawsa, and I have no doubt that you do it much more "hands on" than they do since they have gone into mass production. But it's still similar.

And I think you've seen the last of me at your truck, I'm not a fan of getting into arguments while trying to enjoy a hot dog.  I'll have myself a Sabretts in my kitchen with the bogus strublekraut from the Slawsa company.

Marci's Dogs

Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 11:17 PM (permalink)
                    Ken
                    I am not looking for arguments either. I pride myself on keeping thing as fresh as possible. Your statement originally stated if Marci's recipe isn't the same it's damn close. That's not true! Anyone reading that would think you can go out and buy the same thing for what 3-5 bucks a jar? I am not looking to argue or fight but when someone makes a comment about my business that isn't correct I am going to state my side. Especially when people never read all of what's written online. We put a considerable amount of time into the product. So excuse me if I offended you but to compare Strubelkraut to slawsa again offends me my efforts and my truck! Nothing personal bud, just explaining my position and my product. No hard feeling life's too short.
                    Rov

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
                      Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Fri, 07/27/12 11:47 PM (permalink)
                      Any idea what type or brand of mustard Galloping Hill uses?

In those pictures it looks a little like Chinese hot mustard.

***Just a question***

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                        Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Sat, 07/28/12 8:18 AM (permalink)
                        Galloping Hill Inn serves Gold's Dusseldorf mustard. You can get it at Restaurant Depot if you have a membership. There is a distributor in Sayreville or Parlin that is open to the public. You can get it there. The name escapes me but I have been there once and posted about it.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                          Re:Slide show of NJ dogs w/ John Fox Sat, 07/28/12 12:03 PM (permalink)
                          great post

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com