Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

San Francisco

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
San Francisco Fri, 07/27/12 7:03 AM (permalink)
Who has the best cioppino in the city?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544

icecreamchick

• Total Posts: 99
      Re:San Francisco Fri, 07/27/12 3:00 PM (permalink)
      Mike, I am a "fish frowner," so I don't know where that would be. But, I highly recommend the Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream there.

For gourmet bites and treats, the Ferry Building is a great place. It has lots of little shops, including one with the best chocolates I can remember tasting. Sadly, the endorphins have clouded my mind andI don't remember any useful or helpful details, like the name of the place.

To me, a trip to San Fransisco isn't complete without a trip to Ghiradelli Square for a more affordable chocolate fix. I love their squares and the dried fruit/chocolate pastlles.

One last suggestion: if you're looking for Italian in North Beach, we have fond memories of the Mona Lisa. When we were there last several years ago, the food was good and the staff was really friendly and good.

Have a great trip!

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
        Re:San Francisco Fri, 07/27/12 4:19 PM (permalink)
        icecreamchick

Mike, I am a "fish frowner," so I don't know where that would be. But, I highly recommend the Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream there.

For gourmet bites and treats, the Ferry Building is a great place. It has lots of little shops, including one with the best chocolates I can remember tasting. Sadly, the endorphins have clouded my mind andI don't remember any useful or helpful details, like the name of the place.

To me, a trip to San Fransisco isn't complete without a trip to Ghiradelli Square for a more affordable chocolate fix. I love their squares and the dried fruit/chocolate pastlles.

One last suggestion: if you're looking for Italian in North Beach, we have fond memories of the Mona Lisa. When we were there last several years ago, the food was good and the staff was really friendly and good.

Have a great trip!

Do Recchiuti Confections ( http://www.recchiuticonfections.com/index.html ) or Scharffen Berger Chocolate Maker ( http://www.scharffenberger.com/ ) ring any bells?

plb

Re:San Francisco Fri, 07/27/12 4:20 PM (permalink)
          I was starting to recommend The Golden Spike, but I checked and it is gone.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:San Francisco Sun, 07/29/12 2:38 AM (permalink)
            If nothing else I'll try 1 of the places on the wharf.

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 178
              Re:San Francisco Sun, 07/29/12 9:47 AM (permalink)
              I would recommend the Tadich, SF oldest restaurant.

Everything is Old School here, and I haven't tried anything here I didn't love.
              The menu has a lot of things on it that you don't see anymore, and the waiters
              Are models of old time efficiency.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                Re:San Francisco Sun, 07/29/12 9:59 AM (permalink)
                Mike, I have been to Scoma's many time, it has never failed. The restaurant is just off the main street down a very narrow alley, easy to miss. The food has always been good, good clam chowder, good seafood and pasta combo dishes. If your eating on the Wharf, knowing how touristy the Wharf is, Scomas is the place. I'm not saying Scoma's Cioppino is the best in SF, I'm saying you will not be disappointed. Eat the Cioppino like an Italian, (Both hands moving) bread in one hand while spooning the flavorful tomato seafood broth up with the other. A great Cioppino should make you want to pick up the bowl and drink every drop...Scoma's is a busy place, try to get a spot at the bar, relax your on vacation in a real busy tourist area..........Make the waiting part of the journey, have fun Mike..................Bill

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                  Re:San Francisco Sun, 07/29/12 11:04 AM (permalink)
                  MikeS.

If nothing else I'll try 1 of the places on the wharf.

Fisherman's Wharf if VERY touristy. But, that said, you can still get a decent Cioppino at believe it or not, Cioppino's on Jefferson St.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                    Re:San Francisco Sun, 07/29/12 11:35 AM (permalink)
                    San Francisco is my second home of sorts for many reasons. One including, having lived there.
                    In my personal opinion, The Wharf is waaaay too "touristy" for me. And that's that's exactly what you'll get. A tourist's Cioppino.
                    I love Tadich Grill but, not for Cioppino. Too expensive and, a smaller bowl.
                    I would suggest Sotto Mare, Anchor Bar or my personal favorite, Swan Oyster Depot. 
                    But regardless, you almost can't go wrong anywhere in the city for Cioppino.
                    ENJOY!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                      Re:San Francisco Sun, 07/29/12 2:09 PM (permalink)
                      Twinwillow

San Francisco is my second home of sorts for many reasons. One including, having lived there.
                      In my personal opinion, The Wharf is waaaay too "touristy" for me. And that's that's exactly what you'll get. A tourist's Cioppino.
                      I love Tadich Grill but, not for Cioppino. Too expensive and, a smaller bowl.
                      I would suggest Sotto Mare, Anchor Bar or my personal favorite, Swan Oyster Depot. 
                      But regardless, you almost can't go wrong anywhere in the city for Cioppino.
                      ENJOY!

Hi, I lived in the east bay, and was in S.F. a lot. Just got back from a vacation there also! The place called "Cioppino" by the wharf is actually pretty darned good! I was surprised. 

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3556
                        Re:San Francisco Fri, 03/15/13 3:22 AM (permalink)
                        pnwchef

Mike, I have been to Scoma's many time, it has never failed. The restaurant is just off the main street down a very narrow alley, easy to miss. The food has always been good, good clam chowder, good seafood and pasta combo dishes. If your eating on the Wharf, knowing how touristy the Wharf is, Scomas is the place. I'm not saying Scoma's Cioppino is the best in SF, I'm saying you will not be disappointed. Eat the Cioppino like an Italian, (Both hands moving) bread in one hand while spooning the flavorful tomato seafood broth up with the other. A great Cioppino should make you want to pick up the bowl and drink every drop...Scoma's is a busy place, try to get a spot at the bar, relax your on vacation in a real busy tourist area..........Make the waiting part of the journey, have fun Mike..................Bill

Sadly, I have to say that Scoma's was the only bad meal I had in SF last month. The clam chowder tasted like it was from a can with flour added so you could stand the spoon up straight. I ordered fresh halibut and it seemed more like frozen. The prices were ridiculous for it too----$10 for a CUP of chowder.
                        My picks for great meals? The Hog Island Oyster Company in the Ferry Building was awesome. Clam chowder was different but some of the best I have had. Scala's Bistro had awesome duck liver terrine and roasted duck breast.
                        Cioppino? It's been a while since I have ordered it out, since it is one of the more popular dishes I make when I have company. I might have to try that place "Cioppino's" though----I do love cioppino!
                        <message edited by EdSails on Fri, 03/15/13 3:23 AM>

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                          Re:San Francisco Fri, 03/15/13 10:53 AM (permalink)
                          EdSails

pnwchef

Sadly, I have to say that Scoma's was the only bad meal I had in SF last month. The clam chowder tasted like it was from a can with flour added so you could stand the spoon up straight. I ordered fresh halibut and it seemed more like frozen. The prices were ridiculous for it too----$10 for a CUP of chowder.
                          My picks for great meals? The Hog Island Oyster Company in the Ferry Building was awesome. Clam chowder was different but some of the best I have had. Scala's Bistro had awesome duck liver terrine and roasted duck breast.
                          Cioppino? It's been a while since I have ordered it out, since it is one of the more popular dishes I make when I have company. I might have to try that place "Cioppino's" though----I do love cioppino!

Ed, at one time Scoma's was the place to go, it was the old New York kind of Waiters and the food was great. I think in todays world there are better places to get a great meal in SF. I'm not sure I would put Scoma's at the top of the list anymore, it has a following that the food didn't keep up with the hype and tradition. It's really to bad, but it looks like the whole Wharf is a tourist trap. San Francisco is like any other town, the Roadfood places need to be sough out with some new fresh ideas.................pnwc...........P.S I remember the words to a Niel Diamond song

It used to be so natural
                          To talk about forever
                          But 'used to be's' don't count anymore
                          They just lay on the floor
                          'Til we sweep them away

I hate to see the old time great restaurants go away. I think it's time to say, ' used to be's don't count anymore they just lay on the floor Til we sweep them away. If someone asked me if I could relive a special memory, I would be 4 years old sitting on a stool at Woolworth's, next to my Mom, eating a English muffin and drinking hot chocolate.  ........................Bill

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3556
                            Re:San Francisco Fri, 03/15/13 4:43 PM (permalink)
                            You are right, Bill. I only went to Scoma's because we had a pre-wedding dinner there. After the wedding, we went to a place called 54 Mint. The fresh halibut I had with a tapenade and fresh tomatoes was one of the best dishes I have ever had. In San francisco, it pays to avoid the wharf. A much better place it the Ferry Building, a foodie's paradise. With the Hog Island oyster Company that I love and Chris Cosentino's charcuterie place there (the sign says, "We sell smoked pig parts"), it is a foodie paradise. Lefty O'Doul's was a blast, a combination dive bar and cafeteria style food place with great entertainment. I had an excellent corned beef sandwich there. Not many places you can have a corned beef sandwich and wash it down with Maker's Mark!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com