A couple of HRBs

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5137
2012/08/05 15:56:17 (permalink)

A couple of HRBs

Recently we were traveling in northwestern Wisconsin and stopped in Butternut for lunch.  I'd done a little recon and decided that the local restaurant Jumbo's looked interesting.

Google Maps had me thinking that Jumbo's was in a Main Street storefront but in reality it's tucked in the back of a building.

There's nothing fancy about it but the Village Clerk had given me a positive review, so we staked out a table in the corner.  I didn't realize it until after we ordered that we'd come in just before closing, which is something I ordinarily hate to do but the server assured me that it was OK.

I ordered the "beef plate", which turned out to be what I know as a hot roast beef sandwich (HRB).  Bread on the bottom, roast beef, bread on top (this can be optional), mashed potatoes, and a drenching of beef gravy.  Everything except the bread definitely seemed homemade, the beef was tender, and the gravy was rich and flavorful.  Even better, it came out of the kitchen properly seasoned so I didn't have to add any salt, although I did add some pepper.  Because I like pepper.

Mrs. SC and #2 Daughter opted for a patty melt and a hamburger from the big flattop in the kitchen.  They gave them a "pretty good" rating although the PM was apparently a little greasy, which I fail to see as a negative.

And then last Monday we were in town getting 2 new tires on the car, and since I didn't feel like cooking we stopped at Sugar & Spice Eatery (the same meal referenced in the CFS thread in the Breakfast forum) for dinner.  Mrs. SC had liked the look of my Jumbo's HRB enough to decide that she was going to have one for dinner, which actually wound up being dinner and then lunch the next day.  The gravy was thicker and darker but still had good flavor without being pasty, and there were plenty of potatoes, bread, and meat.

On the surface a hot roast beef sandwich seems like it shouldn't be difficult to make because it's essentially a recipe for leftovers, but the ingredient list also makes it easy to take shortcuts - years ago I was even served one made with Carl Buddig-style lunchmeat!  Fortunately these 2 examples were at the other end of the spectrum and I wouldn't hesitate to order either again.

6 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1