The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Restaurants putting more high-quality, unique ingredients like pork belly in their dishes

RestaurantBiz

• Total Posts: 36
Restaurants putting more high-quality, unique ingredients like pork belly in their dishes Mon, 08/6/12 12:31 PM (permalink)
According to this article one of the biggest trends in the U.S. restaurant industry is the inclusion of unique and high-quality ingredients in dishes. Has anyone on this board tried using higher quality ingredients and seen a positive result in terms of sales? Are eaters ready to pay more for this type of fare?

I can't believe pork belly is featured on 39% more menus today than last year. Sounds like it'll be a passing fad.
<message edited by RestaurantBiz on Mon, 08/6/12 1:15 PM>

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
    Re:Restaurants putting more high-quality, unique ingredients like pork belly in their dish Mon, 08/6/12 2:31 PM (permalink)
    I think that says something serious about the state of the Chinese economy.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
      Re:Restaurants putting more high-quality, unique ingredients like pork belly in their dish Mon, 08/6/12 2:44 PM (permalink)
      I assume the meant steak tartare.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
        Re:Restaurants putting more high-quality, unique ingredients like pork belly in their dish Mon, 08/6/12 3:20 PM (permalink)

Just look at the quality of the food trucks that have popped up over the last few years. The quality of food on all levels off food service has gotten better. The consumer is better educated in all kinds of foods. I never thought a entree ending with Belly would be a popular item on anyones menu. I now see pork belly all over the place on menus, I'm not sure you will find it on the heart healthy menus. I think the restaurants are making food fun again, the customer is demanding high quality and they are paying the price for it, looks like a Win Win situation.............pnwc

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
          Re:Restaurants putting more high-quality, unique ingredients like pork belly in their dish Tue, 08/7/12 4:18 AM (permalink)
          Here's an interesting article on healthy eating trends.
          Surprisingly, North America has the lowest percentage of people who buy Organic foods with only 24% of consumers saying they actively buy organic. Asia is the highest - 47%. That translates into what they're willing to pay to eat healthy in restaurants.
          http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/consumer/global-trends-in-healthy-eating/
          <message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 08/7/12 4:22 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com