The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine

sherrymac

• Total Posts: 15
Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Mon, 08/6/12 10:32 PM (permalink)
Going on a road trip for the next week. Looking for recommendations for Vermont  to New Hampshire (travelling thru the white mountains unsure of whether to take route 302 or 16) Spending at least one night in North Conway, then down to Hampton Beach area, back up to Portsmouth, Portland, Oguinquit, Kennebunkport and up as far as Bar Harbor. Before cutting back towards Quebec.
So, can anyone recommend restaurants, pubs and lobster pounds, etc. Never had a clam bake. would love to partake of one on a beach somewhere.
I'll appreciate any and all tips.
Cheers, folks

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 510
    Re:Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Mon, 08/6/12 10:52 PM (permalink)

I love the blueberry pie at Hart's Turkey Farm in Meredith.  Meredith is south of the White Mtns on southwest side of Lake Winnepesaukee.  Hart's makes their own pies at their bake kitchen just up hill from the restaurant.  The turkey dinners there aren't bad, either. 

In North Conway, Vito Marcello's Italian Bistro is a great Italian place.  There is a little history to it.  "Marcello's" used to be a noteworthy Italian restaurant in Rhode Island in the 1970s and (part of?) the 1980s, as well as a noteworthy mafia hangout (so you know they had to have good food!).    They closed, and eventually reopened at the location in  North Conway as a place called, "Bellini's".  They couldn't use the name Marcello's in North Conway, as there was coincidenally already another restaurant called Marcello's up there.     Now, they are renamed again, and they are operating as Vito Marcello's Italian Bistro.    http://www.vitomarcellositalianbistro.com/  
    Mangia!

In Wells, Maine. the Maine Diner is very good, and noted for their codfish cakes and Indian pudding. 

I'm not a lobster fan, so I'll let othrs comment on where to go for that. 

Glenn

waltpiii

Re:Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Tue, 08/7/12 2:34 PM (permalink)
      I recommend Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill, NH.  If you go there go the hill in the center of Sugar Hill and get some sharp cheese at Hartmann's General Store.

Also the Sunny Day Diner in Lincoln, NH It is next to Clarke's Trading Post.

Walt

ChiTownDiner

Re:Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Tue, 08/7/12 3:45 PM (permalink)
        Hoping you!ll recap you stops as I am visiting that area late September for the first time!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1503
          Re:Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Tue, 08/7/12 10:01 PM (permalink)
          Several for the Portsmouth to Orqunquit area that you may wanna try.and definitely more in the roadfood vein than hautecuisine..although there are several of the latter especiially near perkins cove.

Bob's in Kittery, across from the outlets have great fried clams with bellies. Also Lobster Rolls that are divine.  Captain Simeon also in Kittery has all that and more in a wonderful water/river side setting. I prefer this.

For the Ultimate Lobster Experience...Chaunceys Creek Lobster.  I cant descroibe how to get there, but you'll love it.  Creekside and some folks come by boat.  Your basic outdoor picnic tables and you can view the lobster tanks that your dinner will be taken from shortly after you order. Folks that are local make a bigdeal over this place, bringing their own table linen, wine, appetizers and desserts, etc.  Part of the fun is watching them set up.and maybe stealing a bite!  Chauncey's serves lobster.lobster and LOBSTER.with a few other things and a few soft drinks.  You want anything else, Bring it!  They don't care.  Note..long walk down a wooden ramp to the docks.....not really suitable for wheelchairs or folks that have a lot of trouble walking.....and keep an eye on the kids..........they are liable to go for a dunk, but it's all part of the fun.

For the ultimate in Hotdogs.......Flo's just a little shack(actually part of a house) on Rte 1, just north of York in the Cape Neddick area.  Just tell em how many you want.they'll come with the sauce!  Flo I think has finally gone to the big buffet, but her daughters were running it at last visit.

Back down on the water at Cape Neddick, if it is still there, the Cape Neddick Inn on the inlet side is a good, slightly upscale place.

In York Beach, Parra's Pizza is the place locals go as well as visitors, for good reason,. Couple that with a visit to Brown's Ice Cream on Nubble Light for a fun definitely laid-back night

Ralph Melton

Re:Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Tue, 08/7/12 10:07 PM (permalink)
            We had two of our finest meals ever at the Dorset Inn in Dorset, Vermont.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=604333

jonsull

• Total Posts: 20
              Re:Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Wed, 08/8/12 4:26 PM (permalink)
              Near Hampton Beach is Brown's Lobster Pound.  Right on the marsh and you pick your lobster and they cook it for you in front of your eyes............great fried seafood too.  We always get the steamers also!  Cash only and BYOB so bring a cooler.

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
                Re:Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine Wed, 08/8/12 5:02 PM (permalink)
                On the way to Bar Harbor...Ellsworth, Me. has Cleonice, an excellent restaurant and Finelli Pizza, awesome pizza. Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound in Trenton, Me. has been around forever and is very good. Many choices in Bar Harbor-Poor Boys Gourmet, Quarterdeck, Lompoc Cafe, and years ago Geddy's Pub was a blast. Enjoy Down East...it is like nowhere else.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com