The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Savannah, GA to Hunting Island, SC

taraavo

• Total Posts: 2
Savannah, GA to Hunting Island, SC Thu, 08/9/12 10:04 AM (permalink)
I am looking for suggestions along the journey from Savannah to Hunting Island. I have plenty of suggestions for Savannah itself, so I'm really just looking for stops between points A and B. Also, anyone familiar with this area, can you tell me chronologically the names of the areas and towns one passes through? I know Beaufort, but other than that unfamiliar with the small towns throughout the route.

taraavo

• Total Posts: 2
    Re:Savannah, GA to Hunting Island, SC Thu, 08/9/12 10:10 AM (permalink)
    I should add - this trip will be taking place on a Monday (I know certain restaurants in the area do a Thurs-Sat/Sun only thing). I have looked through some past threads and would love an udpate on any of the BBQ joints mentioned in the Beaufort area that might be open on a Monday, as well as a place suggested on the way to Hunting Island called SHrimp Shack (Described as cheap, greasy dive - yum).

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
      Re:Savannah, GA to Hunting Island, SC Thu, 08/9/12 10:53 AM (permalink)
      taraavo

I should add - this trip will be taking place on a Monday (I know certain restaurants in the area do a Thurs-Sat/Sun only thing). I have looked through some past threads and would love an udpate on any of the BBQ joints mentioned in the Beaufort area that might be open on a Monday, as well as a place suggested on the way to Hunting Island called SHrimp Shack (Described as cheap, greasy dive - yum).

Sgt. White's Diner is very good bbq. The rest of their food is good as well. 

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
        Re:Savannah, GA to Hunting Island, SC Thu, 08/9/12 12:58 PM (permalink)
        That's up near Parris Island Marine Base.  Family friend's son was stationed there a few years back.  When we visited with his folks, we went to the Dockside Restaurant in Port Royal.  Right on the inlet.  Good local seafood.  Hushpuppies, and onionloaf.  We also had their seafood pot with crablegs and oysters and shrimp as I recall.

Sue in MtP

• Total Posts: 19
          Re:Savannah, GA to Hunting Island, SC Sat, 08/11/12 8:37 AM (permalink)
          Are you taking 170? There's not much between Savannah and HI unless you want to stop in Bluffton or Hilton Head. You're smart to go on Monday, since beach traffic is brutal on weekends.

I like Shrimp Shack in Frogmore, just up from Hunting Island. HI is a State Park, so be sure to take a picnic in with you.

Sgt White's is GREAT, but it's not on that route.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
            Re:Savannah, GA to Hunting Island, SC Sun, 08/12/12 4:09 PM (permalink)
            When I made a trip a couple of years ago to Charleston, SC to Savannah, we went through Beaufort and Frogmore (among other places), and found a little gift shop in Frogmore. As it was @ lunch time, we asked where was good to eat. I believe it was on Monday. The owner of the gift shop suggested Steamers.

http://www.theoriginalsteameroysterandsteakhouse.com/ordereze/1000/Page.aspx

The place was really cool!!! "The Big Chill", and "Platoon" were filmed in Beaufort, and the casts of both films hung out at Steamers. There is a lot of film memorabilia. The employees are happy to share their memories. Good service, and good food.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com