The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread?

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 3:54 PM (permalink)
I love homemade grilled ham and Swiss, which I usually make on toasted Pepperidge Farm dark pumpernickel  but this last time I switched to PF's seeded Jewish rye, and didn't like it  that much.  I found it didn't have a strong enough rye flavor, and it was dry even with an advanced expiration date.

Please help me with some recommendations for other rye bread brands, or other bread choices for a ham and Swiss. 

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
    Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 4:02 PM (permalink)
    Since you're in NOLA, what about the bread used for a muffuletta?  It seems like it would grill up nicely.

Beefsteak is my usual choice for storebought rye because it's a common product, but I also like the S. Rosen breads when I can find them.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
      Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 4:44 PM (permalink)
      BelleReve

I love homemade grilled ham and Swiss, which I usually make on toasted Pepperidge Farm dark pumpernickel  but this last time I switched to PF's seeded Jewish rye, and didn't like it  that much.  I found it didn't have a strong enough rye flavor, and it was dry even with an advanced expiration date.

Please help me with some recommendations for other rye bread brands, or other bread choices for a ham and Swiss. 

Good sourdough works nicely!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
        Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 4:55 PM (permalink)
        For supermarket-bought rye I'll second Beefsteak -- the seeded rye, not the seedless version.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9547
          Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 5:25 PM (permalink)
          Since you're in NOLA, how 'bout a buttered and grilled Po Boy roll, then put ham & cheese on it and stick it open faced under a broiler to melt the cheese.
          I'm sure there's a Mom & Pop fresh bread bakery somewhere in the area that makes a good loaf of rye bread or a rye bread roll.

Foodbme

Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 5:33 PM (permalink)
            They say they make fresh bread:
            http://riverbendbakery.com/

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 9:18 PM (permalink)
              I will agree about Beefsteak rye....good as far as commercial bakeries go......

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Thu, 08/9/12 9:38 PM (permalink)
                Why the switch from pumpernickel?
                I wish someone made a good store brand pumpernickel out this way, but it never seems to have been popular out here in the PNW.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
                  Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 12:00 AM (permalink)
                  San Francisco Sourdough.....(not the fluffy stuff that gets passed off as sourdough at most places.)

Foodbme

Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 12:11 AM (permalink)
                    I've not seen or heard of Beefsteak Rye out here. I sent Hostess Brands an email to see if it's sold in God's Country.

Lindseyup67

• Total Posts: 175
                      Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 8:42 AM (permalink)
                      My homemade herb bread, and a pannani press!!

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
                        Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 9:40 AM (permalink)
                        I can't imagine how it would be better than on sourdough.

DT

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                          Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 12:36 PM (permalink)
                          A quality seeded rye

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                            Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 1:22 PM (permalink)
                            Foodbme

I've not seen or heard of Beefsteak Rye out here. I sent Hostess Brands an email to see if it's sold in God's Country.

No, it's not here in Georgia..... :)

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                              Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 2:40 PM (permalink)
                              Sourdough

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                I like that on a hearty wheat bread.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                                  Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                  AM i being heretical in adding Dijon mustard?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
                                    Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                    Marble rye.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2014
                                      Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                      kevincad

Foodbme

No, it's not here in Georgia..... :)
                                          ...   ...

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                        Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                        That combo screams pumpernickel or rye to me. I also support the Beef Steak Rye (seeded). It's a pretty good store bought brand. If you've got a local bakery, tho then I'd check with them. Or you could try your hand at baking your own. Getting a good ham is also a trial. I rather like Sahlen's store bought ham for most things, but I'd rather have a nice bake it yourself smoked ham. Unfortunately, they're getting harder and harder to find. Too many people are satisfied with these precooked hams. Sad.

badart

• Total Posts: 35
                                          Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Fri, 08/10/12 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                          Phildelmar

AM i being heretical in adding Dijon mustard?

Not for me! Like a good spicy brown as well. I slather both sides of the inside of the bread before I add the cheese and ham.

I agree with seeded rye, but any semi-crusty sturdy bread will do.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                                            Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Sun, 08/12/12 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                            Here in South Jersey, I go for Ginsberg rye.  I don't know if it available elswhere.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                                              Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Sun, 08/12/12 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                              Thanks for all your tips, Beefsteak and Ginsberg are not  brands I'm familiar with, will have to research, but have an idea they aren't distributed in our area.

Screaming Chicken - there are stores that carry muffuletta style bread, but they are large and very dense (think of a hamburger bun on steroids) great for soaking up olive salad mix, but too much bread for other types of sandwiches.  Now, a loaf of regular Italian bread would work, I've seen them rectangular and oval shaped, braided with a seeded top that might be good.

Sourdough & dark wheat - excellent choices, didn't think about them.   

Foodbme - if wer'e talking about the same thing, those French bread rolls are called pistolettes, and make good sandwiches, great for parties, put a plate of them out, platters of ham, turkey, assorted cheese slices, condiments, and everyone makes their own.

1bbqboy -  I usually use Pepperidge Farm's dark pump, not just for ham, but good with most sandwich fillings, this time I just wanted to change things up. 

Lindseyup67 & Root-Beer Man  - homemade breads sound wonderful, actually on my "To Do" list for the fall, baking bread, and I miss cornbread and biscuits, but just too hot right now to think of using the oven.   

Phildelmar - dijon's fine, I use mayo on one half, either dijon or Zatarain's Creole mustard on the other, which I've heard you can get at Whole Foods, though probably any brown, coarse-grained mustard might do as well.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Mon, 08/13/12 7:52 AM (permalink)
                                                Seed rye w/ yellow mustard.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                  Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Mon, 08/13/12 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                                  I would use a seeded rye and the mustard idea sounds delicious!

Foodbme

Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Mon, 08/13/12 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                                    RF'er Docbigsky, has a place up in MT that serves a BODACIOUS Grilled Cheese:
                                                    It's worth the price of a plane ticket to go get one! http://www.buckst4.com/
                                                    Bison Meatloaf Grilled Cheese
                                                    Smoked Cheddar and Swiss Cheese, Slabs of Hearty Meatloaf, Home-made Smoked Tomato Catchup, Onion Straws on Thick Cut Sourdough, Served with Hand-cut Montana Fries!!!
                                                    <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 08/13/12 10:08 AM>

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                                                      Re:Grilled ham and Swiss on what type of bread? Mon, 08/13/12 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                                      I like to make grilled sandwiches on potato bread.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com