The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!)

docbigsky

• Total Posts: 9
Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Sun, 08/12/12 4:50 PM (permalink)
Michael Hoffman commented on a lamb rack recipe I posted that he uses a similar method on the grill and that piqued my interest. Not having a lamb rack on hand, I tried it with chicken thighs.

I set up the Big Green Egg for indirect grilling with the ceramic plate setter. I filled a foil pan with beer and apple cider vinegar and put it under the grate for a drip pan. I've found if I let the chicken drip directly on to the plate setter it smokes too much and makes the chicken taste a little acrid.

I seasoned two thighs with Bolner's Chicken Rub (my default method), to use as a control and in case the panko crusted ones didn't turn out, I'd still have dinner.

Then I removed the skin from the other two and brushed them with mayo (which looks positively horrible), then coated them with panko, seasoned with the same stuff.

I sliced some red and yellow potatoes in half and tossed them in Dijon, olive oil, salt & pepper, then skewered them.

I heated the egg to 375 degrees and am ready to go...

Cooked everything for about an hour without turning the chicken at all or opening the grill. Brushed the "naked" chicken with barbecue sauce and voila. Worked like a charm. Thanks Mr. Hoffman!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7608
    Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Sun, 08/12/12 5:05 PM (permalink)
    Skewering the potatoes...  What a great idea!  I must copy you.

Your Egg has a nice view.

Chicken looks great.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
      Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Sun, 08/12/12 5:17 PM (permalink)
      I'm glad it worked. But, golly gee, all I said was that I do racks of lamb on my charcoal grill.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
        Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Sun, 08/12/12 5:26 PM (permalink)
        Your chicken and potatoes look great but the view is positively breathtaking!!!!!

Sundancer7

Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Sun, 08/12/12 6:15 PM (permalink)
          Dr. Roz will be receiving her degree very soon and we are going to do a northern trip through Montana through Big Sky country and then south to AZ where she will receive her diploma.  I hope to spend a couple of days in the great state of Montana.

Your chicken thighs appear fantastic.  Chicken thighs are the favorite of Mamaw Smith and me.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

docbigsky

Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Sun, 08/12/12 6:29 PM (permalink)
            If you come through Big Sky (near Yellowstone), look me up at Buck's T-4 Lodge.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
              Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Sun, 08/12/12 9:36 PM (permalink)
              Docbigsky,
              I don't know what your involvement is with Buck's T4 Lodge, but its a pretty nice place! Especially the Dining Room!
              http://www.buckst4.com/
              By the looks of the food shown above, if you're not the chef, you should be!!!
              Great looking menu!
              Put me down for a Bison Meatloaf Grilled Cheese and one each from the list of Big Sky Beers!
              <message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 08/12/12 9:48 PM>

docbigsky

Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Mon, 08/13/12 12:28 AM (permalink)
                Thanks, Foodbme! I'm actually one of the owners, and one of my partners is the culinary force. I've never cooked for a living, but have great resources in our kitchen to draw on as I try to work on my home cooking skills.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                  Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Mon, 08/13/12 8:41 AM (permalink)
                  Great looking food and view!

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                    Re:Panko Crusted Chicken Thighs (Thanks M Hoffman!) Mon, 08/13/12 1:57 PM (permalink)
                    I couldn't see those pictures until today. Wow, does that look good. Thanks for posting, I'm going to do both the chicken and the potatoes like that. I'll use something other than the Bolner's, something I already have in the cabinet, but the rest of the method fits the way I work perfectly.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com