Mom's scrapple

Author
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
2012/08/16 18:34:11 (permalink)

Mom's scrapple

I have spent a lot of time going from Indy to WV this summer.  My  mother-in-law has been in & out of the hospital all summer.  That means I get to spend a lot of time with my mom- age 90,still living in the home she & my dad built in 1963.   Mom gardens, reads, quilts, drives in the small town I grew up in.  She cooks & bakes for herself, a hot meal every night.  She saves all her pork trimmings & broth & when she knows I am coming, she makes me scrapple for breakfast.  So good, crisp & brown on the outside, creamy inside. 
While eating scrapple one morning we began talking about when my grandparents would butcher 2-3 hogs in the late fall.  My grandmother would make scrapple for breakfast the morning after butchering along with brains & eggs.  Mom also told me how my grandmother would make headcheese for Dr Brown, the community's physician.  My mom would take my sister & I out of school to go to butchering.  Great memories & at 65, I am so blessed to have my mom to makle scrapple for me & remember years past with her.

9 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1