"Newbie" here - Introduction

Author
Kokomo_Sno
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2012/09/03 07:02:26 (permalink)

"Newbie" here - Introduction

Hello forum,

I am Mark, 34, from Idaho. I have been in the shaved ice business for 10 years now. Started out with a "sno shack", then bought a mobile sno shack, and expanded from there. Just wrapped up our last event of the year, slung over 1,100 cups of shaved ice in 6 hours.

Somewhere along the way I thought I wanted to be in the food (hamburger, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, fries, etc) business. So I bought a 16 foot concession trailer with the works. Ran that for about 2 years but it became clear it's not what I want to do, or at least not at the level I was doing it.

Sold the trailer and focused solely on shaved ice for the next few years. In the mean time I found a small niche buying/selling step vans. If memory serves me since I don't have my paperwork at the moment, I believe I have sold 12 over the past 4 years. Ever so often I would keep one, thinking I would turn it into a shaved ice truck, but then someone would come along, want to buy it and so I would sell it.

I bought another step van at the end of July. It's the first truck I have had that has a translucent roof. I think I am gonna keep this one. I like the light it lets in without having to add lights, though I probably will for night use, even though I haven't had night events as of yet.

The truck is a 1992 Chevrolet P-30. Former Frito Lay truck. 27' long with 18' cargo space. Was told it's a 6.5, but I have not confirmed this yet. Drove 2 hours to get it and another 2 to bring it home. Paid $580 and it runs as well as I think a diesel is suppose to. When I get my post count up I can let you folks know of a source to get cheap step vans.

I am kicking around ideas on how I want to build this. Perhaps it is "overkill" for doing just shaved ice, but at the same time I think it commands attention due to its size. Especially if I can figure out what kind of design/wrap I want.

In my mind they don't go hand in hand but I think I want to do hot dogs somewhere down the line as well.

If anyone is familiar with how Kona Ice has their truck set up, I am wanting to do something similar, especially with the way their syrup delivery is set up.

Anyways...I have pictures, but it appears I need to hit the 30 post count or email them to someone.

For now I'll continue to browse and read to get more ideas on my future build.

Great forum.

Mark

13 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1