The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Birmingham Alabama:Legendary Barbecue House Johnny Ray's On Valley Ave {est.1954}bulldozed

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
Birmingham Alabama:Legendary Barbecue House Johnny Ray's On Valley Ave {est.1954}bulldozed Tue, 09/4/12 11:38 AM (permalink)
A friend in Bham just emailed me to let me know that Johnny Ray's Barbecue Valley Avenue location has been leveled. Huge loss for the community. Any Birmingham roadfooders on here? If so, I'd appreciate a hot link to an article.

buffetbuster

Re:Birmingham Alabama:Legendary Barbecue House Johnny Ray's On Valley Ave {est.1954}bulldo Tue, 09/4/12 11:52 AM (permalink)
    I stopped in for a slice of pie about a month ago and was shocked at what I saw.  There is almost nothing left.  A real shame.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Birmingham Alabama:Legendary Barbecue House Johnny Ray's On Valley Ave {est.1954}bulldo Tue, 09/4/12 12:01 PM (permalink)
      buffetbuster

I stopped in for a slice of pie about a month ago and was shocked at what I saw.  There is almost nothing left.  A real shame.

I know it's a long shot but you didn't happen to take picture did you? I'm writing an article.

buffetbuster

Re:Birmingham Alabama:Legendary Barbecue House Johnny Ray's On Valley Ave {est.1954}bulldo Tue, 09/4/12 1:24 PM (permalink)
        SC-
        No, I'm afraid I did not.  And I usually photograph everything.  Sorry! 

BTW, I don't believe that this location it has been part of the Johnny Ray's franchise for a while.  I had it explained to me during my most recent visit in 2009, but the name was Original Baby Ray's Bar B Que, although they still sold the Honey's Creme Pies that Johnny Ray's was famous for.   

scrumptiouschef

Re:Birmingham Alabama:Legendary Barbecue House Johnny Ray's On Valley Ave {est.1954}bulldo Tue, 09/4/12 1:46 PM (permalink)
          thank you, I had just written an article about Johnny Ray's for http://kevinsbbqjoints.co...s-jr-scrumptious-chef/ and am so sad to hear about this. I lived at this restaurant during their heyday when Mr. Ray and Honey were running the show. Trying to coax a buddy of mine who lives in Warrior to drive down there and take a picture for me.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com