Whistlin' Dixie

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7921
2012/09/04 20:19:25 (permalink)

Whistlin' Dixie

This is my last big trip of the year, hence my last real trip report. This was also probably the most interesting trip of the year.
Interesting, in that I not only got together with a few roadfooders, but that I also got to visit some friends, one of who I haven't seen in nearly a decade and also a reunion with family members, one cousin who I haven't seen in over 3 decades and another (her daughter) that I had never met.  

My first leg of the trip, unfortunately doesn't include much roadfood.  Staying with friends and visiting family it was very difficult to do. However I will try to make this leg of the trip short, concluding it in the next chapter.

I promised Buffetbuster I will try to get a jump start since I just returned yesterday, so I thought I would begin with the first night. 

Friday August 24

My flight to Charlotte from TF Green was an easy just under 2 hour journey. Arriving in Charlotte at around 7pm. I got my rental and headed to my first stop not too far from the airport.

Nana's Soul Food Kitchen

After visiting Lawan's last year I wanted to compare these popular soul food establishments.

I had the option to order the small or large plate, with the large plate you have the choice of ordering two entrees.
I decided to think in Buffetbusterian terms and went with the large plate so I can get 2 entrees. 
Beginning with  square dense, unsweetened  cornbread, I actually preferred this over Lawan's

For my plate, I went with Fried Chicken, Smothered Pork Chops , Collards and Mac n Cheese 

The fried chicken had a nice crisp crust and was juicy, but I thought lacked the pronounced flavor that Lawan's had but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. The Smothered Pork Chops were tender and seemed to fair somewhat better than the fried chicken. The sides were not only absolutely superb, but the portions dished out, were humongous . The overwhelmingly cheesy mac n cheese simply outclassed Lawan's and the slightly sweet collards stood on equal ground to Lawan's.
Can dessert be as promising?

Unfortunately not. Although the cashier recommended the banana pudding, it was a complete disaster. Akin to Vanilla Jello Pudding, it tasted like someone put in a couple of slices of banana and vanilla wafers at the last minute. A complete disappointment. 

I do wholeheartedly recommend Nana's, just don't order dessert.

After dinner I drove the 30 some odd miles up to Lincolnton to stay with my friend Julianne and her husband Scott. I had a busy day ahead so a good nights sleep was in order.

Much more to come....

167 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1