The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Driving my way around Iceland

kaszeta

Driving my way around Iceland Sun, 09/9/12 12:29 AM (permalink)
Just got back from a 12 day trip to Iceland.  It's been on our travel list for a long time, and we finally got to do it.  (And, for those that have never thought of going to Iceland... it's only 5 hours from the US Northeast!) 
It was 12 days: 3 total in Reykjavik, and the rest spent circumnavigating the country (primarily on the Ring Road, although we took a lot of diversions).  2600 km worth of driving.
And I've noticed that Icelandic cuisine doesn't get a lot of love from the world (oh, the jokes I heard about hakarl and Brennivin before I went).  But there are two things that make Icelandic cuisine phenomenal: Icelandic lamb, and fresh fish.
So, as I continue to upload photos to my flickr set, I figured I'd start giving a log of some of my most memorable meals.
First up was Grái Kötturinn, a small breakfast place in downtown Reykjavik. 

We took the red eye to Keyflavik (it’s hard not to, actually), which had us arriving all bleary-eyed at a time which was either 3:30 or 7:30, depending on which clock you are looking at. Attempting to get on local time, we wandering into downtown Reykjavik to find some coffee and breakfast, looking for a nice, solid breakfast to get us going.
We ended up finding a couple of good options (Prikið, in particular, looks like a place I need to check out on another visit), but we ended up finding exactly what we needed at the Grái Kötturinn: a nice, solid "eggs and bacon" breakfast:

Not really icelandic, but this American-style eggs and bacon breakfast hit the spot. The eggs were nicely cooked sunny-side up. The bacon was flavorful and fully cooked without being burnt. The potatoes were nicely seared up as well, and this combo made for the good-but-greasy sustenance that really helps me recover from a long flight.
However, the high point in this breakfast was the giant inch-thick slab of toast with Icelandic butter on it. It’s not just marketing, Icelandic cultured butter really is a lot more flavorful than your typical generic US butter pat, and it was something I enjoyed throughout my visit in Iceland.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com