We completed our first batch of Bacon today, and started the curing process on the second chunk of Pork Belly.
The first batch was done using the recipe that comes with the Morton's Sugar Cure. Basically one and a half cups of curing mix with one cup of Brown Sugar added and mixed in. The result is a bit salty for our tastes...I am not a fan of 'strong' country ham either. The Bacon is fine for sandwiches and with other food, but to eat plain it is a bit salty for our tastes.
After rubbing in the curing mix, we allowed the pork to sit in sealed bags in the refrigerator , turning it once a day for 5 days. The rinsed it off and put it in the smoker for 6 hour
Then sliced and packaged the bacon for our normal use amounts
Batch number two saw us cut the curing salt by 50% and doubling the Brown Sugar amount. it is in the refrigerator now, I will report on how the taste changed with the recipe. Batches 3 and 4 will follow when we settle on the mix ratios. We are smoking over applewood and will do one batch with Maple Sugar and maplewood smoke
Bacon cure mix-
Batch one being sliced and packaged for use.