Hot!Five and dime store lunch counters?

Author
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
2012/10/17 11:50:01 (permalink)

Five and dime store lunch counters?

I still have fond memories of the lunch counters at the five and dime stores in downtown London, Ontario. My mother would take me along in the late fifties/early sixties while she shopped at the Kresge, Metropolitan, Woolworth and Zellers stores. I didn't mind as I could peruse Great Garloo and the Aurora monster model kits in the toy department, the goldfish, budgies and little turtles in the pet department and the bulk candies. The coup de grace though was always hitting her up for a bowl of ice cream at one of the lunch counters, usually at the Kresge store but sometimes in Metropolitan. I remember the ice cream being served in a stainless steel dish with a cardboard insert.  

The newer Woolworth stores across the street and three blocks away at the Wellington Square Mall not only had larger counters but also featured ice cream sandwiches made with a square of neapolitan ice cream in between two ice cream cone type wafers for fifteen cents! Wow!

Unfortunately, all the Kresge and Woolworth stores in Toronto, Hamilton and London closed by the mid-nineties. The downtown Bay store in Toronto still had a basement level restaurant consisting of a multiple U-shaped lunch counter up until about eight years ago. I think it was called the Flamingo or something up until the mid-nineties when it was moved to the other side of the store. That too though is sadly gone.

Does anyone else have fond memories of department store lunch counters? What did you like to order? And do any still exist in your neck of the woods, either in department stores or ones with an identical feel elsewhere?

post edited by Hepcat - 2012/10/18 10:22:20

94 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1