Social Networking, Privacy, Past and Future

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2012/10/19 18:08:14 (permalink)

Social Networking, Privacy, Past and Future

I guess that like most of you that are similar in age, the world of youthful social networking is starting to look like a future train wreck. Many of the younger generation are already coming of age and their carefree past and indiscretions that are now archived on the web are impacting them socially, career wise, and in some cases legally. Those photos and videos meant for private or limited exposure are now viral. Embarrassing profiles and postings gleaned from private information brokers that at one time only dealt with credit histories are now part of background checks for employment to prosecutors and litigators due diligence.

Looking forward into the future is difficult. Very little has turned out the way I expected from my teen years now heading into my 60's. While the current state seems like a disaster looming ahead, I wonder if we may be seeing a paradigm shift as the veil is lifted on the following generations personal lives. We may be seeing the effects already. When embarassing photos or videos surface now on the web, the celebrities not only own up to them, they even attempt to profit off of them. Millenials appear to have an attitude of no expectations of privacy, so they seem to have a cavalier attitude about exposing their lives for all to see. To believe what some futurist say, it's going to become irrelevant in short order. With such an upcoming onslaught of past history and things such as tats and body modification done during youth and college, reputation will mean nothing. Society will have changed by then and the mores that we judge others by will be shortly irrelevant thanks much in part to social networking and self promotion and personal revelations that it encourages.

I'm wondering what your take on this is and how you see it affecting their futures. Laws are already being enacted to restrict social networking profiles from affecting admissions and hiring, but nothing is to stop anyone from using this information subjectively and biasing their opinions. At least not yet or until the persons in HR or doing discovery have an identical or similar past history and it becomes hypocritical.

6 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1