The Curmudgeon And Primanti's

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
2012/10/26 11:25:09 (permalink)

The Curmudgeon And Primanti's

OK, so for years I've been putting down the whole Primanti Brothers thing. I mean, c'mon. French fries and coleslaw on a sandwich? Are they nuts?

My feelings about Primanti's, never having been there, were cemented by an experience I had at a short-lived sandwich shop that opened here in Gahanna, Ohio several years back. I went in when it first opened and, looking at the menu board I saw pastrami sandwich listed. How could I resist? But then I watched as the guy behind the counter began making my sandwich. First off I saw him using some sort of white bread, and I was aghast. Pastrami on white? But then I watched as he started putting fries atop the pastrami. Was this guy out of his mind?. But then he went even further. He added slaw, and then some tomato. Well, I'd ordered the thing, but that didn't mean I'd have to eat it. I had him wrap the sandwich up to go, paid whatever it cost (it was a long time ago and I can't recall the price), and left with my "pastrami" sandwich. The first trash can I saw became the recipient of my whatever-it-was.

But on Thursday of this week lleechef got me into Primanti's on The Strip  in Pittsburgh to have lunch with my grandson. I admit that I wanted to go, but just to prove I was right and "they" were wrong Still, lleechef made me promise not complain about the sandwich all the way back to Gahanna.

Folks, Primanti's won. lleechef and I split a pastrami sandwich and It was absolutely marvelous. (My grandson had a double egg and cheese.) I can't wait to go back again, and next time I'll have a whole sandwich, and it'll be the double egg and pastrami. Heck, even the fries were delicious.

And after all these years of thinking Pittsburgers were nuts I apologize, and say from the bottom of my heart, they were right and I was an idiot.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/10/26 11:27:15

50 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1