The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Vending in a "Poverty Stricken" area.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 738
Vending in a "Poverty Stricken" area. Sun, 10/28/12 7:27 PM (permalink)
I live/vend in an area with about 15% unemployment and jobs here don't pay well. On my "street corner" gigs I get a lotta people drive up and ask "How much are yer dogs?" If they are close enough I point out my menu. Or I say it depends on what you want or say they start at $2.00. Some say "$2.00 for one hot dog!!" and drive off.
Do I want these customers? Should I carry some cheap (.89 a pack) dogs and cheap buns and sell them for a buck with no chili? Offer store brand soda and chips? Should I look at these folks as cheap SOB's, or feel sorry for their lot in life? I mean, if yer that cheap or poor, go to the store and buy a pack of dogs and buns for 2 bucks and pig out. Or maybe they are out looking for a job and need something in their stomach.
Should I have a prominent sign saying "Hot Dogs...$1.00 !!" and then up-sell them? Bait and Switch?
For the record, I serve Nathan's and a local, cheaper favorite. I do "From Scratch" Chili and Slaw and get lot's of comments that my stuff is the best in the area. At events I get non-stop lines and repeat customers.

As winter sets in, I need a bread and butter income. If I can sell a dog that costs me .20, hell, that's .80 I didn't have before.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com