Vending in a "Poverty Stricken" area.

Author
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 759
2012/10/28 19:27:00 (permalink)

Vending in a "Poverty Stricken" area.

I live/vend in an area with about 15% unemployment and jobs here don't pay well. On my "street corner" gigs I get a lotta people drive up and ask "How much are yer dogs?" If they are close enough I point out my menu. Or I say it depends on what you want or say they start at $2.00. Some say "$2.00 for one hot dog!!" and drive off.
Do I want these customers? Should I carry some cheap (.89 a pack) dogs and cheap buns and sell them for a buck with no chili? Offer store brand soda and chips? Should I look at these folks as cheap SOB's, or feel sorry for their lot in life? I mean, if yer that cheap or poor, go to the store and buy a pack of dogs and buns for 2 bucks and pig out. Or maybe they are out looking for a job and need something in their stomach.
Should I have a prominent sign saying "Hot Dogs...$1.00 !!" and then up-sell them? Bait and Switch?
For the record, I serve Nathan's and a local, cheaper favorite. I do "From Scratch" Chili and Slaw and get lot's of comments that my stuff is the best in the area. At events I get non-stop lines and repeat customers.

As winter sets in, I need a bread and butter income. If I can sell a dog that costs me .20, hell, that's .80 I didn't have before.

34 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1