The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hurricane Sandy.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 77
Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
Hurricane Sandy. Fri, 11/2/12 9:40 PM (permalink)
Maybe this isn't the right place but, I'm asking you to please donate what you can to the Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief.

I've been away from NYC for many years but, a large chunk of my heart is still there.

Please! Do what you can. When Katrina hit New Orleans, I donated money to the Red Cross.

When tornadoes ripped thru the mid-west, I donated to the Red Cross.

So please, do whatever you can to ease the unbelievable hardship of the people of the Jersey Shore , Staten Island, and wherever assistance is needed on the North East coast of the USA!

Thank you, my friends.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
    Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 12:09 AM (permalink)
    Thanks Twinwillow!  A lot of people are still reeling from this disaster in NYC.  Many people are still without power and water. Many of the emergency repsonders are putting in long hours and are exahusted and hungry.  Anything you can do is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
      Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 3:52 AM (permalink)
      While I admire your efforts, I prefer to give my donations to the Salvation Army.  
      They have a much lower Administrative cost so more money gets to the people who need it.

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 10:51 AM (permalink)
        It doesn't make any difference who you donate to. The fact that you donate to any official organization that will provide help is all that matters.
        Thank you.

My closest cousin lives in Woodmere on the south coast of Long Island about 22 miles from Manhattan. She's only 3-1/2 miles from the Ocean. She just got her power back on late yesterday and says the devastation is unbelievable and surreal. 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
          Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 11:42 AM (permalink)
          Thanks Twinwillow.

Any help to any of the charities is greatly appreciated. It's such a grave situation that is much more of a challenge than other emergencies that happened in the area. People in this area are so used to being the first to jump and help out in any way they can. It's very difficult to travel around because most of the power was out...the public transportation system is either down or still recovering...there are gas rations...and so many communities are in grave situations...in very cold weather.

For certain communities completely devastated in unbelievable conditions like Staten help right now means helping them survive. Recovery is a luxury after survival.

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 11:48 AM (permalink)
            CC, thank you for your words putting things in perspective.

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 1:15 PM (permalink)
              Prayers for your family!

If anyone in the area wants to help...FEMA is handing out this box which is worth weight in gold in many areas without the need compared to our neighbors & emergency workers saving their lives while risking their own...

MREs....

Our neighbors need our help in any/every way possible. In our case it's Staten Island which is this close to us. So we count blessings round it up and get it over there by car motorcycle or foot. 

I promise it will make you feel better about being surrounded by a disaster.

<message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 11/3/12 1:16 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 3:06 PM (permalink)
                CC - Thank you for your caring thoughts for my family in NY. Do you know of anything I can do to help get those FEMA boxes distributed?
                <message edited by Twinwillow on Sat, 11/3/12 3:09 PM>

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                  Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 9:55 PM (permalink)
                  My home is in Ocean City NJ.  Sandy hit us with 2 feet of water throughout our one story home.  We lost all of our furniture and most of our clothes.  Believe me if you can help in anyway it will be greatly appreciated!

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 10:11 PM (permalink)
                    Chris, my prayers are with you and your family. God bless you. I'm not a wealthy person. I live on SS but, I'll do a little more and hopefully some of my donations will filter down to you and your family. Stay strong and hopefull.
                    It will take time but eventually, I hope all of this will be just be a bad memory.
                    Is FEMA helping at all?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                      Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 10:59 PM (permalink)
                      Having lived through Irene/Lee last September, I say to all my RF friends, do not count on FEMA.  Here is the gist of what we had to live with:

If you have flood insurance, FEMA gives you NOTHING!

If you do not have flood insurance, the maximum payout from FEMA is around $30,000. 

If you had a vacation home or rental property that you owned, you get NOTHING!  FEMA only pays if it is your primary residence.

If you are a renter, FEMA give you NOTHING!

If you are a business owner, FEMA gives you NOTHING!  You will have to deal with the SBA.  Their rates are higher, sometimes much higher than a bank, but at least they are willing to lend.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.  Rest assured, friends, family and private organizations are going to get you through this.  Also, do not be in a rush, get the correct info(in writing) before beginning repairs.  FEMA and the flood insurance they oversee will fine and penalize you and your town for not following their rules which they themselves do not know.  God Bless you all.

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 11:17 PM (permalink)
                        Thanks Joe for all the information you provided regarding FEMA.

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sat, 11/3/12 11:39 PM (permalink)
                          FEMA is deployed in the early areas declared a disaster with food & water. The rest is up to the people in the close communities that are not a disaster compared to other people living close enough to get to...with whatever resources that can be provided...by any/every means right away. That includes cash is king..screw waiting for a write-off. Especially in the early days...before all the charities show up...and get situated.

I'm sure people woke up the other day thinking they would not be on the line to get care packages because they had enough to get by...until power was restored. Well...they were on line...because for whatever reason it was not very quick to reach the people in desperate need...close enough.

We'll get anything and everything we can over the bridge with a NYC marathon of our own. We have official vehicles willing to help the cause. I'm sure more will follow...because helping is much quicker than listening to the "my Grandparents arrived in America and were welcomed by Staten Island" yada yada....over & over.
                          <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 11/4/12 12:01 AM>

joerogo

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 4:28 PM (permalink)
                            Also, every time you talk with FEMA,(most likely on the phone)keep good notes.  Every employee has to give you their identification number and the locator number of your conversation.  Write them down along with notes about the conversation.  You will never talk to the same person twice.

If a FEMA rep comes to your home, just keep in mind, he/she is not your friend.  They will have a laptop with them and they will log in everything you say.  Ask to see what they have written and make any changes you think are necessary.  One wrong sentence from the FEMA rep could put you back at square one, which you will have to find out for yourself because nobody will tell you.

Oh, and take lots and lots of pictures of your damage.

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                              Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 4:31 PM (permalink)
                              My Sister in Leonardo got her power back on last night, Today my 2 nieces and her friends went to my Hometown of Keansburg NJ to volunteer, They are applying for the national honor society and need the hours, this will be a humbling experience for them.
                              This is a hard way to learn about Life but I am proud of them and their friends.

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                It's especially important to be very careful about FEMA because we have never had a natural disaster to require extensive FEMA services in this area and they are not exactly situated and are just saying that people will be "in the neighborhood" shortly ( after the initial food/water is handled). We are still having slow times with perishable foods getting back in to the area.

We're still under a curfew and waiting for the next storm to come on Wednesday. If you are close and can volunteer that's a wonderful thing and everyone is appreciative for that. If you live outside the area have family or friends in the area...don't travel in. It's like a war zone for hundreds of miles. Help from outside the area is best served by donations to the organizations that are doing their best to get to places themselves...under difficult challenges in certain areas.

In Roadfood terms if you love the Roadfood in the area or have always wanted to come to visit any certain restaurant in the area....make a donation to charity for the cost of that meal. That would help a great deal.

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                  joerogo, Thank you! The information you've provided regarding FEMA is invaluable! Hopefully, Roadfooders from the storm area will have access to your comments!

Ps, My cousin got her power back on in Woodmere, L.I. Friday but she had to go to the grocers to get a WI-FI signal so she could return my first email of concern to her from when the "Frankenstorm Sandy" hit and knocked out everything.
                                  <message edited by Twinwillow on Sun, 11/4/12 5:03 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                    That's great Twinwillow! Some of the local businesses in the area went above and beyond for us. I was interviewed by the local paper yesterday about the amazing job of the local fruit store owner that traveled to the Bronx every night to get milk bread eggs and our beloved fruit. I was so happy to do it...because he did not even have a scale and not only went to the trouble to do that...he undercharged us a considerable amount for it.

http://mobile.nj.com/advn...m?contentguid=PIQl1elq
                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 11/4/12 5:25 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 5:27 PM (permalink)
                                      CC, God bless him. And all the others trying to make everyday life a little easier for the storm victims.
                                      I'm praying for all of you!

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                        Thanks Twinwillow. God Bless him indeed. It's people like that who make it much easier. He was waving his hands behind the reporter...so I would not pour it on. He deserves all the praise he can get...and while he has always had customers he will always have customers for life.
                                        <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 11/4/12 5:37 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                          CCinNJ

Thanks Twinwillow. God Bless him indeed. It's people like that who make it much easier. He was waving his hands behind the reporter...so I would not pour it on. He deserves all the praise he can get...and while he has always had customers he will always have customers for life.

If I was there, I'd kiss him. On the cheek, of course.

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                            I'll give him a hug. Now my friends are all calling me "the hungry"

Twinwillow

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                              CCinNJ

I'll give him a hug. Now my friends are all calling me "the hungry"

joerogo

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                                Who is Colleen Kurtiak?  Should we be calling you CK?  

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 7:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  Yes. Gov. Christie will have a special announcement about it tomorrow.

joerogo

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 7:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    Chris Kristie?

CCinNJ

Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                                      Chris Kristie Cream. Now I will be flagged.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17819
                                                        Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 8:21 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'm really curious about where FEMA might be getting its hands on Operation Gratitude packages. Operation Gratitude is a volunteer organization that uses the donations it gets to send "care" packages to troops overseas.

http://www.operationgratitude.com/

CCinNJ

• Location: Bayonne, NJ
                                                          Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 9:54 PM (permalink)
                                                          This is our first natural disaster and they don't say much of anything but here you go...and would you like pulled buffalo chicken or sloppy joe meals in the pack?

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                                            • Location: New York City, NY
                                                            Re:Hurricane Sandy. Sun, 11/4/12 10:07 PM (permalink)
                                                            I was just in the Oakwood Heights neighborhood on Staten Island today helping with the clean-up, food distribution and whatever I could.  Many groups and people who were in town to run the NYC Marathon over the weekend organized to have a "marathon of service" in various neighborhoods that were hit the hardest (Coney Island, The Rockaways, New Dorp and Oakwood Heights (both on Staten Island, etc...).  The generosity, grace, resilience and spirit that I witnessed was both moving and humbling.  So much more work to be done before this is even close to being back to normal.  If you are at all able to donate manpower and time to help people clean-up, bring them supplies and moral support they can sure use it.  Thanks so much.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 77

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com