Any advice for the Nashville Health Department and food trucks\trailers?

Author
vikinglord
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2012/11/18 21:29:39 (permalink)

Any advice for the Nashville Health Department and food trucks\trailers?

Hello all. I am starting a very unique food trailer and am going through the design\build process. According to the Nashville Metro Health Department, they require a 3 compartment sink with drainboards at each end. Because of my really unique design, space is a concern. I sent them a picture of the really small expresso sinks that have drainboards, but they state it is too small for the food I am serving. They seem to think I will be washing a lot of dishes onsite. With the exception of a utentsil hitting the floor, my stuff will be washed in the automatic dishwasher at the required commisary.

I am working to get as much space free as possible, but every inch counts. I checked several other trucks and most did not have drainboards, especially the taco wagons. I just do not want to put in what I think is feasible, only to have metro deny it. I have been told that you can have 1 drainboard and build a shelf above the sinks to act as a drying board.

Does anyone have experience with this, or other issues with the Nashville health department I need to be concerned about?

Nashville is quite young when it comes to food trucks. I travel all over in my current day gig and in Austin, Tampa, and other cities I go to, it seems their health departments are a little more understanding. It seems the brick and mortar restaurants in Nashville do not want the trucks here. I plan to do both, but I will use the trailer to get my food out there and be completely out of debt before I open the brick one.

Thanks for any advice. We need a food truck forum in Nashville.

4 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1