The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The best poutine I've ever had...

Prof

• Total Posts: 41
The best poutine I've ever had... Sun, 12/2/12 6:21 PM (permalink)
I made myself tonight. 
      We live near the Canadian border and travel across abour 20 times a year or more.  I've eaten poutine a few times but was always disappointed.  By chance we had some leftover River Rat cheese curd, gravy from a couple different braised chicken recipes, and some frozen Ore Ida fries.  Now I already can hear the purists groaning that the gravy must be beef and the fries should be fresh.  You are right but what I made still tasted better than what I have had in a restaurant.  I have eaten what was supposed to be good.  Just hear me out or better yet, try my way and let me know what you think.
     First I made sure the fries were as crisp as I could get them without burning so they would not get too soggy.  20 minutes in a 500 F degree oven.  They came out crispy or chewy, either worked out well.  If they are not so cooked, they turn to mush when gravied (I think I just invented a verb) which was one of my complaints.  I grated the curd so that it would melt when hit by the gravy which was boiling when I dressed the pile.  I hated poutine which had large, unmelted curds.  I wanted gravy that was the result of some other cooking process, not made just for the poutine.  My gravy, although the result of braising chicken thighs, was dark and flavoful from bits of bacon and braised vegetables and chicken juices. Lastly I heated an oven proof pie plate in the oven along with the fries so that it would be really hot when I put the fries in it.  The poutine never cooled off during the whole meal.  The result was as good as I could make it at home and I used up leftovers------priceless.        My food motto:  If it tastes good, it is good.
dave
<message edited by David Guccione on Sun, 12/2/12 6:23 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com