Favourite Xmas treats!

Author
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
2012/12/03 14:43:50 (permalink)

Favourite Xmas treats!

With respect to favourite treats that are Xmas specific, my four favourites are these:

1. Yule Logs

The best ones I ever had were made by an old German fellow at a little place called Klein's Bakery on Hamilton Road in London, Ontario. Klein's supplied the restaurants and delicatessens in the London area with the most positively exquisite black forest, mocha, lemon, walnut, hazelnut and marzipan cakes. His cakes were not only absolutely delicious but they were little works of art, particularly the Yule logs.  But you really had to learn about Klein's by word of mouth since there was nothing to draw a person into the bakery since it was located in a lower income part of town and it was very unprepossessing in appearance.  Moreover he only baked to order so there was nothing on display even if you walked in off the street! I chanced upon Klein's in 1977 when I was managing an H & R Block outlet across the street and patronized it for holiday cakes for over thirty years. And then he went and retired after being in the baking business for over fifty years! The nerve! I don't think I'll ever find cakes of that quality again, particularly not at Klein's very friendly price point.

2. Kisielius

A jellied berry pudding made from cherries, lingonberries, red currants, loganberries, raspberries, boysenberries, strawberries or gooseberries in Europe, it's most commonly made from cranberries here in North America quite simply because frozen cranberries have long been so widely available here at this time year. Sweet and tart, it's a traditional Lithuanian Xmas dish.

3. Fruit Cake   

Surprisingly enough, I've never had better fruit cake than that made by Weston, which is the mass market baker of Wonder Bread here in Canada! But Weston does the Christmas cake very right with lots and lots of fruit and nuts and it's sold in high end retail stores such as the Bay. 

4. Kringles

A traditional Scandinavian Xmas pastry. Once again, the bakery that was London's favourite supplier, Chapman's, closed down earlier this century when the baker retired after having been in business for many decades. A person had to preorder their kringles in November or shop elsewhere.

Now I'm both sad and hungry.
post edited by Hepcat - 2012/12/06 11:58:51

114 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1