Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bread from India

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 31 of 31
tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
RE: Bread from India Sun, 06/19/05 4:35 PM (permalink)
I can't remember if I've shared this in the forum before or not, but I had trouble making chapatis or puris at home. I tried all purpose flour, I tried wheat flour, but they just didn't turn out right. Finally, I decided to see if I could get "chapati flour" at the Indian grocery, and lo and behold, that worked out wonderfully! I'm now able to get it directly from one of the local supermarkets, which has a good-sized international section (thank heavens that the D.C. area is so ethnically diverse!); the last batch of chapatis I made tasted very authentic-I used the chapati flour, followed the recipe on the package, and let the dough "rest" for a bit before I started rolling them out. I don't have a tava but rather a round, old-fashioned griddle pan - it works well for the chapatis, even on an electric stove!

The grocery store's international aisles (yes, there are two!) also have a frozen food section, and in the freezers are frozen paneer cubes! They're not bad; I got them and tried them in a couple of dishes. I also found a dosa mix that I'm going to try! I hope it will turn out okay - the masala dosa is one of my favorite Indian restaurant dishes that I'm not really sure I can make at home, but now I'm going to try at least. *laughs* Just the pancake itself with filling, that is.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 31 of 31

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com