Harrisonburg VA/Route 11/ Old Toll House Mini Road Trip

Author
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
2012/12/07 21:52:50 (permalink)

Harrisonburg VA/Route 11/ Old Toll House Mini Road Trip

Instead of losing my marbles I decided to take a road trip up 81 to Harrisonburg and then up Route 11 to work on a little project.

Today was pure lollygagging. There's never any real pressing reason to go to The Green Valley Book Fair but dammit, it's so random and hokey and goofy you just have to go see it. If you decide to go, remember the exit, because signs are sparse. They have the most obnoxious commercials on the planet and no signs. You're sent from 81 into an agricultural Twilight Zone where you get the unsettled feeling it has to be the wrong way. Never fear, the book fair's in an older light industrial area. If you are patient there are bargains to be had. I love the people watching. This is a great mixed of tired tourists and the locals browsing through old kitten calendars and Greek tourist guides. I was not let down and now I've got some cool books to read on my little jaunt.

My next stop was Harrisonburg and I went right to A Bowl Of Good because I'm always hungry. They are big on sustainability, local ingredients and things you can eat out of bowls. 

I like Bowl Of Good a lot, probably because it's quasi-healthy and quiet. They have two locations but I like the original on Mt. Clinton Pike near Eastern Mennonite University.

I had the Bangkok Bowl...chicken, rice, Asian slaw, cilantro, peanuts and a peppery peanut dressing. They have an interesting hibiscus tea but it's a little too sweet for me. The Aztec chocolate cookie is interesting, a little flat brown cookie that tastes like dark chocolate and hot peppers.

On other occasions I've tried the Bada Bun Bowl and the chili. All are good. 

I crapped out after going for a run so dinner was a grinder from Martin's. Tomorrow I'm heading up Route 11 to Mount Jackson for nothing that has to do with food but it's something very cool and historic (and illegal). I'll have to eat along the way so I'll have a nice chapter two.

11 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1