The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cooking with a woodstove.

Prof

• Total Posts: 41
Cooking with a woodstove. Sat, 12/8/12 8:18 AM (permalink)
Here in the North Country of NY State, lots of us have woodstoves as main or supplemental heat in our homes. I have been experimenting with using the woodstove instead of my kitchen stove/oven for cooking.  I preheat water on it and have used the edges for warming up leftovers.  I have baked a small loaf of bread on top and did the pizza last night.  You have to guard against spills on the woodstove since they will stain the iron.  It's also harder to control the temperature but still doable if you are careful.  I have considered getting firebrick and buiding a brick oven on top of the stove but am trying simpler means first. A heavy cast iron pot turned upside down makes a small oven.  Last night I put a pizza stone on the top and let it get hot.  Made the pizza and put it on parchment paper to prevent dripping onto the stove top.  Put the pizza on the stone and covered it with a conventional large stainless steel lid.  The fire had burned down some and was not super hot.  After 20 minutes the bottom crust was pretty nice but starting to burn in small spots and the cheese was melted but the top layer of dough was very soft and undercooked.  Not wanting it to burn, I removed it to a wooden cutting board and left the lid on it.  The residual heat eventually cooked the dough thru. Next time I will try to make the pizza small enough to fit under my cast iron pot. Anyone else cook on or in their woodstove?
dave

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com