Helpful ReplyHave to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I eat?

Author
Prof
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
2012/12/10 19:29:32 (permalink)

Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I eat?

Never been there.  Any advice gladly considered.
dave
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4233
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/11 18:36:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Lucky you!  Charlottesville is one of the most pleasant places in the nation:  much to see, much to do.  Be sure to do a walking tour of The University and Monticello, the remarkable home of its founder.  The downtown mall has many wondrful places to eat as does "The Corner".  ENJOY!  I certainly did!

The two "Roadfoody" suggestions you will most likely hear from nearly everyone are Wayside Market (for fried chicken) and Crozet Pizza.

Also, don't forget to make the 42 mile trip "across the mountains" and spend a day or so exploring Staunton, "The Jewel of the Shenandoah Valley".
Prof
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/11 18:57:32 (permalink)
Thanks so much, MetroplexJim.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/11 19:37:37 (permalink)
David Guccione

Thanks so much, MetroplexJim.

No problem.  My "intense" experience there was some time ago when I went to grad school at U.Va., so I am sure that others will give you more current advice.  My eldest daughter and my grandson moved there recently and I am looking forward to visiting them this coming Summer.

I encourage you to use the search features on this site; e.g., last summer Michael Stern reviewed a few places north of Charlottesville that are definitely "on my list" for my next visit.  And, searching "Charlottesville", "Staunton", etc. will give you lots of good ideas. 

So, what takes you to C'ville?
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/12/11 19:41:57
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/11 22:54:01 (permalink)

Yup, I'll second the recommendation of the fried chicken at Wayside Market.

Glenn

PurpleDog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/12 13:32:23 (permalink)
I've attended a few concerts at basketball games at John Paul Jones Arena on the UVA campus. The CVille area has some really great places to dine.  My 2 favorites are:

** Mellow Mushroom --- Not far from JPJ Arena.  They are a chain but always produce a very tasty pizza made in a not so traditional way.  This busy place is not too far off of Route 29, and I always I stop when I'm in the area.     

** Carmellos Of Charlottesville - 2208 Fontaine Ave - CVille VA 22903 --- Exceptional Italian place. Try the the veal parm - it never dissapoints.  =) 

carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/13 08:47:24 (permalink)
Charlottesville is filled with great restaurants and I'm sure you'll find them while you're there.  What a great city!   I would highly recommend The Shebeen, a South African joint.  In a great little strip mall kind of place very near downtown.  I go there everytime I'm in town, now. 
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/13 13:34:16 (permalink)
When we were at Monticello we stopped in at the Michie's Tavern on the way back. Yeah, it's a tourist place, but the food was pretty good. They do a good fried chicken and their stewed tomatoes were fantastic. The beets were good, as were the black eyed peas. Avoid the pork BBQ, tho. It's reminiscent of gas station Que. Stick to the chicken. 
blikeyblike
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/17 04:54:59 (permalink)
Dave, I've lived in C'ville for nearly 30 years. I just signed up so can't send a private message for 15 days. I'm sure I can receive though. Send me a PM with alternate contact info and I'll happily help you custom tailor list of places to visit while you're in town. 

There are some good recommendations so far, but Charlottesville and the surrounding area are filled with a very wide range of eating choices. I can think of a few great places that just popped up that I would never tell the world at large about and you would never find on your own.

You should definitely consider a couple of day trips to the Shenandoah Valley if your schedule allows it. Staunton and Lexington are both beautiful small towns well worth visiting and good food can be found in both without too much trouble. 

RBI
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/17 07:26:16 (permalink)
blikeyblike

Dave, I've lived in C'ville for nearly 30 years. I just signed up so can't send a private message for 15 days. I'm sure I can receive though. Send me a PM with alternate contact info and I'll happily help you custom tailor list of places to visit while you're in town. 

There are some good recommendations so far, but Charlottesville and the surrounding area are filled with a very wide range of eating choices. I can think of a few great places that just popped up that I would never tell the world at large about and you would never find on your own.

You should definitely consider a couple of day trips to the Shenandoah Valley if your schedule allows it. Staunton and Lexington are both beautiful small towns well worth visiting and good food can be found in both without too much trouble. 

RBI

Welcome to Roadfood!

And you are so right about spending a few days in The Valley!

And, if one wants to venture a little further, there are many wonderful places north of Charlottesville in the eastern foothills.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/17 10:09:53 (permalink)
While surely not "roadfood", this is one of my favorite restaurants ANYWHERE.
http://www.candorestaurant.com/
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/18 07:46:55 (permalink)
Pancho

Totally agree about the venerable C&O!  As long as we are opening our wallets, don't forget:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inn_at_Little_Washington .
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2012/12/18 12:32:40 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Pancho

Totally agree about the venerable C&O!  As long as we are opening our wallets, don't forget:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inn_at_Little_Washington .
I was hesitant to drop that bomb! I used to go there OCCASIONALLY when I lived in Warrenton, VA. Fantastic experience each time.

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2013/01/12 19:22:41 (permalink)
Wayside chicken had gone down hill a  bit but I might try them again.

The place I would try if I were in Cville would be a short trip to Gordonsville for the Barbeque Exchange. Heard tons of good things about them, but due to family health situations havent had a chance to go myself.I hear Porkapalooza is coming soon (if it hasnt happened already)

Since you will be there a while, you could also get a chance to go to the Bluegrass Bakery. It is not just a bakery, but it is small .  Not a lot of parking but near one of the parking ramps.  last time we tried to go the line to get in the place was out the door and the wait once you were in was an hour and a half, so we declined. But I hear it is amazing stuff. Probably better to go not on a weekend, or go early.

Also check out the Main Street Market for fresh food, Feast makes good subs (if a bit on the organic side ;) )  and the Gearharts chocolates in that same building is excellent , and I have gotten excellent pastries from the bakery next to Gearhardts on Main Street.

kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:Have to spend a month in and around Charlottesville, VA, in Jan 2013. Where should I e 2013/01/12 19:48:03 (permalink)
carlton pierre
Charlottesville is filled with great restaurants and I'm sure you'll find them while you're there.  What a great city!   I would highly recommend The Shebeen, a South African joint.  In a great little strip mall kind of place very near downtown.  I go there everytime I'm in town, now. 

Shebeen is a good place.  I went there after a local South African chef, who used to work there, praised it.

I also recommend getting a Gus Burger from The White Spot.  It's not the best burger you'll have, but the combination of the burger and place are part of the quintessential C-ville experience.
post edited by kaszeta - 2013/01/12 19:51:48
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1