The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!!

emily-dreams-big

• Total Posts: 1
Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Tue, 12/25/12 10:12 PM (permalink)
Hello hot dog vendors / lovers / connoisseurs...
So I live in upstate New York and have decided I need to open an adorable kitschy bikini hot dog stand.
I'm thinking more of a cute, tongue-in-cheek, possibly-retro-50's feel rather than a straight-up sexy, provocative, or otherwise controversial approach!
The towns around me are relatively conservative, but filled with gentlemen (and hopefully ladies), nonetheless, who I'm sure would be happy to patronize my hypothetical hot dog stand.  
I'm looking into health regulations, necessary permits, and hot dog carts for sale.. and am sure I will have more specific questions as they come up.. but for the time being I just wanted to introduce myself and this idea in general and see what feedback I could get from people who know the business!!
Any and all is so appreciated.. thank you in advance..!!! --- Emily 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
    Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Tue, 12/25/12 10:18 PM (permalink)
    Welcome Emily!

It gets cold ...honey.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
      Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Tue, 12/25/12 10:42 PM (permalink)
      If the Dogs aren't good, doesn't matter if they're in Bikini's or Skimobile Suits!

CCinNJ

Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Tue, 12/25/12 10:45 PM (permalink)
        ...and you may want to be in a straight jacket by the end of day 1!

If you are put-together well...you can operate a quirky fun business with your clothes on...and stay sane.

YOAman

• Total Posts: 50
          Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 10:09 AM (permalink)
          This is an idea I have had for a long time and would have already jumped on if my wife had not put her foot down on the idea. lol. When it comes to having girls in bikinis you may have to run it past the city, alot of towns will not allow that sort of thing ( even if it is in good taste) But if your town says yes, you may do pretty darn well with this idea

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
            Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 3:33 PM (permalink)
            Poughkeepsie, New York will be PEEKkeepsie, New York.........I'm not going to get into if I agree or not. I would talk with the Health dept and the City to see what they think. The City can be in your corner, or fight you every bit of the way. I would also think about how many days a person can wear a bikini and really be comfortable in the weather in that area. Would you have the Bikini clad gals wearing trench coats most of the time, or is the weather not a factor. I would think this concept would go over better in Hawaii, Arizona,  or Florida. Another factor IMHO is, I have never seen a gal wearing a bikini that wasn't constantly rearranging the top or bottom, putting in, tucking this and that, running fingers along to put things back in place. Im not sure how the health dept would like seeing a food service operation with that much tucking and refitting. You may want to think about the safety of the girl, Liability of the situation that she is working in...............Welcome to Roadfood, I hope all works out well.................pnwc

tbone654

• Total Posts: 79
              Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 4:08 PM (permalink)
              if you put girls in bikini's, they must also have roller skates...  it's a rule...
              I'll ask my girls when they come down what they think... they're upstairs shaving their legs right now... Brrrr!

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
                Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 5:06 PM (permalink)
                I saw a bikini hot dog stand on one of the food channels the other day.
                They are doing 500 +  dogs a day!!!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6257
                  Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 5:58 PM (permalink)
                  The new craze in ALASKA is bikini barristas at drive-up coffee huts.  That's really brrrrrrr!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                    Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 6:08 PM (permalink)
                    We had one of those here, but folks in these parts are too serious about their coffee and wouldn't abandon their regular stands just to look at scantily clad young girls. 
                    I guess we're a food town.
                    <message edited by 1bbqboy on Wed, 12/26/12 6:22 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                      Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 6:21 PM (permalink)
                      After I come back from Alaska I'm going to drive directly to the nearby car wash where the car washing young ladies are nude.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                        Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 12/26/12 10:42 PM (permalink)
                        lleechef

The new craze in ALASKA is bikini barristas at drive-up coffee huts.  That's really brrrrrrr!

The craze started in Starbucks backyard, The Great PNW!
                        http://bikini-baristas.com/bikini-barista-name.html

MikeinRI

• Total Posts: 1127
                          Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Tue, 01/1/13 9:32 PM (permalink)
                          Gee Emily, you got off easy!

CCinNJ

Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Tue, 01/1/13 9:51 PM (permalink)
                            I apologized to you about that...a hundred times.

MikeinRI

• Total Posts: 1127
                              Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 01/2/13 6:22 AM (permalink)
                              Just kidding.

CCinNJ

Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 01/2/13 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                I don't think I ever apologized for this...

I'm sorry you were accused of being me.

I'm so gracious.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                  Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 01/2/13 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                  How can we possibly decide whether the OP has a good idea without pictures?

jcheese

• Total Posts: 740
                                    Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 01/2/13 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                    I would say if the OP (Emily) was the one with the hot body,.....go for it!
                                    Otherwise, may get tricky.

CCinNJ

Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 01/2/13 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Agreed.

hella good tacos

• Total Posts: 112
                                        Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Thu, 01/3/13 8:19 PM (permalink)
                                        i think i might try wearing a bikini to drum up business...

(i am the guy on the right)

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
                                          Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Fri, 01/4/13 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                          Looks like the lady is bundled up. Do you work below 32 degrees? If so how do you keep you hand washing water from freezing in your cart. My water line burst and I have to figure out how to stop this. I have personal reasons for working in any kind of weather. Thanks for any help.

wingmanBBF

• Total Posts: 49
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Sun, 01/6/13 8:58 AM (permalink)
                                            More years ago than I'm willing to admit, I had a cart in Hartford, CT. for a single, eventful year. The insurance business was still downtown, and doing lunch left room for grad school at night. I had tried rerouting my wash line into my burner box, but still would get freeze-ups on the coldest days. I finally found 12-volt pipe wrap...From a college friend who was a petroleum geologist working in Canada...very inexpensive...probably can be found today at a marine or rv store. I had room for the battery in my propane box. It was a bit of a pain to recharge every night, but I never had to worry about a busted pipe and no longer had to drain and purge the system each day because the charging battery also kept my lines above freezing in my parents detached garage regardless of the frigid New England nights....and, BTW, I know what you're all thinking...Good thing my propane system never leaked....
                                            Being older and a bit smarter today, I would never put an ignition source in the same compartment with a volatile fuel source, but if your propane is not on your hitch frame, the same marine store sells weather-proof battery boxes for a frame mount to isolate the battery.
                                            ...And to totally shift gears, my GF was a bikini hot-dog girl in South FL for a short time....There were many issues, but for her, the worst was burns from casual contact with the cart on bare skin...think about it....
                                            <message edited by wingmanBBF on Sun, 01/6/13 9:08 AM>

BpCBlake

• Total Posts: 436
                                              Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Sun, 01/6/13 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                              not everyone likes toasted buns.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1956
                                                Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Sun, 01/6/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                                BpCBlake

not everyone likes toasted buns.

Can you contribute anything to these forums but one line zingers?

Tristan225

• Total Posts: 350
                                                  Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Sun, 01/6/13 10:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  Ya but you should show off more of those nice tomatillo's.  (just to be clear-above the belt)
                                                  hella good tacos

i think i might try wearing a bikini to drum up business...

(i am the guy on the right)

CCinNJ

Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Mon, 01/7/13 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                                    Some women will be looking at your junk.

Then you think eww I don't want many many many of those women looking at my junk....or even thinking about my junk. Then a few of the some will want to talk to you...about your junk...just so you know they like it.

You end up having to tell customers to forget the junk.

tbone654

• Total Posts: 79
                                                      Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Mon, 01/7/13 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                                      two things...  at night I use a trouble light with a 100 watt bulb (hard to find today) under a shipping blanket to keep the water from freezing...  I've run 200 feet of extension cord in the past just because I'm to lazy to drain the tank all winter.  If it's going to be in the teens and I have to sling dogs, I use an additional propane tank with a home depot heater attachment sitting on top of that and kind of keep it away from the customers, but pointing at me and the water tanks as best I can...  I keep just enough water in the tanks to be legal, and don't let customers use it at all... it's not for them, it's for me...  give them a purell packet from your pocket if they think they want to wash their hands in that kind of cold anyway...

Usually if I'm working my cart will not freeze... but if I have to drive a ways in the cold without a fire in the box it can be trouble...  dumb as it sounds, and depite what people say, wind does make your water colder than the temp...

hella good tacos

• Total Posts: 112
                                                        • Location: Portland, ME
                                                        Re:Dream of Opening Quirky Bikini Hot Dog Stand - feedback please!!! Wed, 01/9/13 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                                        she's an old friend from California, she and her husband were visiting... it wasn't that cold, but felt like winter to them. lol.

My water tank is very close in proximity to where my steam table and griddle heat sources are.  It doesn't get super hot down there due to insulation, but in the winter it stays warm enough under my cart to keep from freezing.  I also find keeping my tank full makes it take longer to freeze.  I go about 80% just to be safe... The only trouble i have gad is the faucet itself freezing. i have found that leaving the negative off my battery and leaving the valve open keeps this from being a problem.  It's a lot harder to unstick when the valve is closed...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com