The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw

Antilope

• Total Posts: 56
West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Thu, 12/27/12 1:28 PM (permalink)
I haven't been to West Virginia, but I found this interesting recipe on a Google search:

West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw

What is a West Virginia Hot Dog?

A West Virginia hot dog begins with a wiener on a plain hot dog bun. Add plain yellow mustard to the wiener, then add a beanless chili sauce and top it off with sweet coleslaw and chopped onions. Different parts of West Virginia have variations but the common elements are sweet, creamy coleslaw and chili. 

West Virginia Hot Dog Chili

INGREDIENTS:

2 Tbsp shortening
1 lb ground beef
2 tsp onions, chopped
1/2 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (can use 1/4 tsp - 1 tsp - to taste)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup of water
1 1/2 Tbsp - 3 Tbsp cracker meal

DIRECTIONS:
Saute ground beef, garlic and onions until browned.
Add spices and mix well.
Add about a cup of water and cook over low heat for 3 or 4 hours.
Add a little additional water occasionally to keep from sticking.
When chili is cooked, remove from heat and add 1 1/2 to 3 Tbsp of cracker meal & stir well to thicken.

Another thing that you can do is run an electric hand mixer around briefly - this makes for a finer ground meat texture & is closer to the "real thing".

After the first batch you may want to vary (slightly) the blend of peppers and cumin, the cinnamon is critical but your chili should never 
have a cinnamon taste.

This chili freezes well.

-----

West Virginia Hot Dog Coleslaw

Ingredients:

2 cups grated cabbage
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
1 Tbsp lemon juice (bottled is OK)
2 Tbsp white granulated sugar
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
salt & pepper to taste

After the cabbage and carrots are grated, put them a food processor and chop really fine. Mix remaining ingredients in by hand.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
    Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Thu, 12/27/12 2:01 PM (permalink)
    Boy, Antilope, you're making me hungry. I've spent a lot of time in West Virginia over the years and have enjoyed classic WV-style hot dogs a number of times. When I first heard of them I was a bit wary as the combination of ingredients didn't sound very appealing, but I quickly found out how wrong I was; the chili and slaw go together quite nicely. BTW, in the Appalachian region and much of the South, people just say "slaw" rather than cole slaw.

Antilope

Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Thu, 12/27/12 2:05 PM (permalink)
      I make pulled pork and serve it on buns with cole slaw, so this looks really good.  I've been known to have a chili dog with sauerkraut on top, so this isn't that different.
      <message edited by Antilope on Thu, 12/27/12 2:07 PM>

jcheese

• Total Posts: 739
        Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Fri, 12/28/12 6:31 PM (permalink)
        Also known as a "Carolina Slaw Dog". I live in SWVA, between those states. Here it's known as "All the Way". Maybe 70% of what I sell is done this way. Your recipes are pretty close to what I do. Note the chili has no tomato. I kick it up by using fresh Jalapenos, Banana and Bell Peppers (in season from my garden).
        I don't put mustard in my slaw, cuz folks like it real white. Also use white vinegar instead of lemon juice, and add celery salt.
        I've been told many times my Slaw Dog is the best in the area.
        I think the secret is to make the chili a little hotter and the slaw a little sweeter.
        What I like about them is that they make almost a balanced meal with the vegetables and all, especially when served on a whole wheat bun.

Antilope

Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Fri, 12/28/12 7:32 PM (permalink)
          What drinks or sides do you usually serve with Carolina Slaw Dog? Any particular flavor soft drink or fries, onion rings, etc?

jcheese

Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Fri, 12/28/12 7:52 PM (permalink)
            I've got a cart, so I'm limited to chips, usually potato. Dr. Pepper, Mtn. Dew and Cheerwine are popular.

jcheese

Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Fri, 12/28/12 7:53 PM (permalink)
              Oh, and Moonpies for dessert.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Fri, 12/28/12 10:23 PM (permalink)
                jcheese

Also known as a "Carolina Slaw Dog". I live in SWVA, between those states. Here it's known as "All the Way". Maybe 70% of what I sell is done this way. Your recipes are pretty close to what I do. Note the chili has no tomato. I kick it up by using fresh Jalapenos, Banana and Bell Peppers (in season from my garden).
                I don't put mustard in my slaw, cuz folks like it real white. Also use white vinegar instead of lemon juice, and add celery salt.
                I've been told many times my Slaw Dog is the best in the area.
                I think the secret is to make the chili a little hotter and the slaw a little sweeter.
                What I like about them is that they make almost a balanced meal with the vegetables and all, especially when served on a whole wheat bun.

Here in Wilmington, NC we just say "slaw dog".... the Carolina part is a given!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Sat, 12/29/12 10:46 AM (permalink)
                  I had my first slaw dog at Snoopy's in Raleigh, NC. Fantastic.

jcheese

Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Mon, 12/31/12 5:27 PM (permalink)
                    Doe's your Slaw Dog automatically mean it's mustard, onions, Chili and Slaw? People come up and say "I want every thing on it" I say "You mean "All the Way" ?  .....Usually say yes. I offer a lot more than those fixin's, so "everything" wouldn't apply, or fit on the bun.
                    Hey, anyone who mentions Roadfood gets the first dog FREE.
                    Find my site here.....   www.grampysdawgs.com

sop that

• Total Posts: 155
                      Re:West Virginia Hot Dog, Chili and Sweet Coleslaw Sat, 01/5/13 2:24 PM (permalink)
                      Forty some years ago we went on vacation to Myrtle Beach SC.  One of the must do's was to go get Hot Dogs with chili slaw and a moon pie.  The place was a little shack at the end of a pier.  We all liked the meal. Never had it again since I've never returned to that area.  Although I loved Myrtle Beach in the 70's.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com