The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sun, 12/30/12 3:06 PM (permalink)
If you love Trains, especially older ones, this is for you! Happy New Year!
http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/Train%20Ride.swf
click on the link, nothing religious, nothing political, just a warm wish that you have a wonderful year......

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
    Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sun, 12/30/12 11:41 PM (permalink)
    Thanks. I enjoyed that. I am a trainrider whenever possible and I love everything  about train travel.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Mon, 12/31/12 6:38 AM (permalink)
      A hobby I have always enjoyed...chasing and photographing rail action!  Thanks for sharing, and a Happy New Year to you as well.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
        Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Mon, 12/31/12 12:57 PM (permalink)
        I'm a big Train fan, that said, I took Amtrack this summer from Chicago to Tucson, by myself, my wife hates train rides, I had a large Pullman suite, so no problems, right? Wrong, it was a disaster from the jump, Amtrack is so screwed up as to be laughable, never again!

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
          Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Mon, 12/31/12 4:04 PM (permalink)
          Foodie, that was terrific!  I'm a retired railroader, and sent it to a bunch of my old compadres.  They like it a lot, I am getting great feedback.  Thanks so much for posting it. 

The shots are obviously world wide, but was also nice to the the Canadian Pacific "Holiday Train" which runs on their tracks right through here every year, making several local stops, all for charity.

That was a real nice hit, thanks again.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
            Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Mon, 12/31/12 5:05 PM (permalink)
            chewingthefat

I'm a big Train fan, that said, I took Amtrack this summer from Chicago to Tucson, by myself, my wife hates train rides, I had a large Pullman suite, so no problems, right? Wrong, it was a disaster from the jump, Amtrack is so screwed up as to be laughable, never again!

I'm a retired Amtrak employee so I know just what you're talking about. In the thirty-five years that I worked there I saw more unqualified or outright incompetent employees promoted into mid and upper level management positions than you can imagine. Those of us who had to deal with the fallout from their stupid decisions are the ones who suffered, as did the passengers who didn't get what they paid for.

callmebruce

• Total Posts: 193
              Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Mon, 01/28/13 1:48 AM (permalink)
              Train fan here! My oldest son and I have been enjoying visiting tourist rails in the Southeast. Getting ready for another season! My son took some vacation time and did a sleeper from Atlanta to NYC to Chicago and back a while ago. We're hoping to take a couple train rides out of Atlanta this summer as well, even if just short jaunts out and back.

mbrookes

Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Mon, 01/28/13 2:01 PM (permalink)
                We will take the train to New Orleans for French Quarter Festival in April and to Virginia in August for husband's high school reunion. Looking forwrd to both trips.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                  Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Tue, 01/29/13 8:22 AM (permalink)
                  I missed this the first time around....

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                    Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Thu, 01/31/13 6:42 PM (permalink)
                    Howdy...

I'm a trainguy...

Almost a year ago the northbound Coast Starlate was detoured over Tehachapi due to track work on it's normal coastal route, so the train had a fair amount of other trainguys as well...

I went down in Coach, came back in a Roomette...

The food was good for the regular diner service, but was even better in the Pacific Parlour Car ... exclusive to the Coast Starlate (Starlight)... Meals are included if you have a sleeper ticket, out of pocket expense if you ride coach...

I have several books about the food served on various trains, including recipes, although some are either too fancy or stuff I don't like...
                    <message edited by BackRhodes on Thu, 01/31/13 6:45 PM>

callmebruce

• Total Posts: 193
                      Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sat, 02/2/13 10:23 AM (permalink)
                      That looks like a lot of fun!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                        Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sat, 02/2/13 1:33 PM (permalink)
                        Years ago we took the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Lamy New Mexico. We just went coach so the overnight part wasn't much fun, too noisy. What we did enjoy was meeting people! Best two was a guy from England just traveling to see the US and a young Marine heading home. Way too many little kids running around uncontrolled.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                          Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sat, 02/2/13 2:51 PM (permalink)
                          Long trip by coach?? NEVER again!
                          Long trip 1st Class Sleeper? Anytime!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                            Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sat, 02/2/13 4:43 PM (permalink)
                            Foodbme

Long trip by coach?? NEVER again!
                            Long trip 1st Class Sleeper? Anytime!

I have really wanted to do this, I hated coach and how dirty I felt the next morning because of lack of bathroom facilities  but I now  have MS and am very limited in the ways I can travel. I have considered a sleeper but that still limits me because many stations cannot accommodate a walker or mobility scooter which I use.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
                              Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sun, 02/10/13 1:05 PM (permalink)
                              We have a family member getting married in Rochester, NY this summer.  Just the other day I had the idea of going by train from here, if it is even possible and where to start researching this.  Any tips would be welcome.

mbrookes - is this your first FQ festival?   You're going to love it.  Too bad they couldn't combine it with the Roadfood festival.  

mbrookes

Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sun, 02/10/13 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                We have been going to FQF every year for about 15 years. We love it, but it was better before so many people found out about it. It gets very crowded on the week-end. The food and music, however, keep us coming back.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
                                  Re:Happy New Year to All You Train Lovers Out There! Sun, 02/10/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                  So true, everyone found out about it.  I like going on Fridays for that reason, now that they added Thursday, those are my choices, and now my brother and SIL come in from Houston, usually leave by that Sunday.  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com