The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hello!

scott64a

• Total Posts: 4
Hello! Wed, 01/9/13 2:02 PM (permalink)
I realize I risk the usual internet forum barrage of Devil's Advocacy replies in posting a "hello" with some questions, but here goes:

I am a paramedic in MA, living in Cambridge. I have a few great locations nearby that would be a great place to set up a hot dog push cart, and am wondering if anyone here in the area knows some of the more sticky ins-and-outs of setting up a push cart in Cambridge.

-Do they allow push carts at all? 
 If so, are they allowed on sidewalks? Who do I ask about that?

I see a handful of food TRUCKS over by MIT, but haven't seen any push carts.

I've gleaned from reading here that I'll need a state hawker's/peddlers license first, then a city license, board of health inspection and sign-off, and probably a fire dept sign-off as well. I'd need to be set up to pay MA food tax as well. I'd have to set up as a sole proprietor.

What else?

How did you guys/ (and gals,) get set up with a commissary partnership? I don't know the first place to start there. 

Still, I'm intrigued with the idea of doing what it takes to be set up and do this for a living. Even with it's sundry requirements, it still looks like a fun way to make a living. I spent two summers working at carnival counters as a barker back in the early 90's, and loved it. I do realize that there is SO much more to getting it going than just showing up and selling wares, and I welcome any and all info.

I plan to just sell hot dogs, sodas, water, chips and maybe some pre-packaged cookies. (the kind of cookies that are labelled for individual sake, of course,). 

I'm sure I'll be having plenty of correspondences with my city BoH and offices, but I wanted to start here first, just to see what those "in the know" had to say.

Best,
Scott

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com