Philly Cheesesteak

Author
westsidetommy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2004/03/11 18:10:39 (permalink)

Philly Cheesesteak

So I was in Philly a couple of weeks ago and went after one of these famous cheesesteaks. I was with my daughter who lives in DC and loves Philly and knows the town a little.

So we went to this corner with Pats and Genos and went to Genos. I'm standing in the street in line with some obviously neighborhood guys talking college basketball betting, just like in Armour Square but instead of talking Illinois, Notre Dame and Wisconsin they're talking Syracuse and Holy Cross. I asked them what I should get on my sandwich and this guy with a gold Italian horn and a green, white and red T-shirt tells me to get cheese-whiz. Cheese-Whiz!?! I don't know from Philly but in Chicago no Italian neighborhood guy is gonna tell you to put cheese-whiz on anything.

So I resisted this Italian Stallion's advice and got mine with provolone. The result was a very bland sandwich. The bread was soft and chewy instead of snappy, like Italian bread that been kept in a plastic bag. The meat was bland and overall this was a colorless, blah sandwich.

I tried my daughter's sandwich with wiz and fried onions and it was much tastier, evidently the stuff is needed to give the sandwich some flavor. Not a bad sandwich just a boring one.

The fries were the worst fries I'd ever had, terrible frozen things with no meat or taste to them. And expensive no less.

When I got back to Chicago the first thing I did was to stop at Al's on Taylor Street for a combo and some real fries, you know, actual fresh potatos cut on the spot and fried. How novel.

But I liked Philadelphia anyway, seems a great town.

106 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1