What are you listening to?

Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
2013/01/19 03:49:10 (permalink)

What are you listening to?

We got to talking about how the music industry has changed with the advent of the Internet and MP3 players today at work. Like most of us here the music that I was exposed to as a kid (1970's) was limited by what the various record executives and radio DJ's liked or thought that the kids would like. There were fewer radio stations and the FM band was just starting to fill with stations. We were limited to Top40 or pop, rock, country, gospel, big band, and classical stations. Later on, AOR, alt-rock, country-rock, classic rock, and oldies formats replaced the big band and classical stations in most of the country. These days classical and big band music is generally only available on your public radio station.

During this discussion, we learned a lot about each others musical taste. We asked each other questions and got some very surprising answers. I thought that I would post a few for you to answer. To provide context, please briefing describe your background and then answer these questions.

1. What music genre would an acquaintance be surprised to find well represented on your MP3?

2. What song would you be most embarrassed to admit is on your MP3?

3. What is the best music that you have been exposed to for the first time by listening to someone else's MP3 or from the Internet?

My answers:
I am a white man in my late 40's, raised in a middle-class suburb in the Midwest. Mom listened to Folk and Top40, Dad listened to Country and Bluegrass.

1. My coworkers were very surprised that I had several polkas on my MP3
2. Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus. It is bubble gum pop but for some reason I like it.
3. Opera - I never bothered to even try to listen to it until a few years ago. A friend sent me a link to a YouTube video of Paul Potts singing on Britain's Got Talent. I have listened to several Operas since.

What are your answers? Ask any questions that you can think of?

CNW

28 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1