3-day Iowa weekend

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5025
2013/02/04 12:42:23 (permalink)

3-day Iowa weekend

A few weeks back a college friend threw a big party/pig roast for his 50th birthday (he's much older than me) so Mrs. Chicken and I trekked out to Des Moines, but stretched it into a 3-day trip instead of doing the standard Saturday-Sunday bit.

Friday afternoon, January 11

We left Madison about 11am and headed southwest on US-151, which is now 4 lanes all the way to Cedar Rapids.  We reached the historic town of Mineral Point at lunchtime and decided to stop for a bite at the Red Rooster Cafe.

The cafe was originally a bank and the building was built back in the 1880s.

Our lunch started with the typical offerings and Mrs. Chicken chose coleslaw while I opted for cottage cheese.  The slaw was mayo-based and she thought it was OK, but generally she prefers the vinegary version.

Red Rooster's house specialty is the pasty and it's served 2 ways: in wedges like we ordered and as individual pies.  The crust was nice and flaky and the filling had plenty of potato, onion, and rutabaga.

Since it was Friday I selected fried cod and hash browns and was very happy with both, especially the potatoes (the best I would have over the weekend).

After lunch we walked around a bit even though it was a damp, dreary, foggy day.  The streets were pretty quiet but during the summer Mineral Point does a brisk tourist trade, especially on weekends.

Guess which beer is no longer available?  Hint: the tiny PBC shield stands for Potosi Brewing Company, which reopened as the National Brewery Museum a few years ago.

The requisite historical marker.

We didn't get Travelin Manned, we got Mother Natured!  As you might expect, Betty's is a seasonal operation.

From Mineral Point it was on the road to our next destination...

19 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1