Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 4:17 PM (permalink)
OK here is a brief report on the Glee Club "Official" stops over the weekend in Mobile.
Here is the group at the end of the second evening. it was a fine outing and a very congenial group. Janet and I enjoyed the food and the fellowship both evenings.

The main purpose in visiting wintzells Oyster House is here identified. The happy hour was extended for our group from 5PM to 7 PM to allow more folks to take advantage of the "dozen on the half-shell for $6.99" special Price.  The Mayor managed to get 6 dozen down before his dinner arrived. Although several folks 'tasted' his shellfish before he could slurp them down.

Lots of new faces, or folks we know from the website but had yet to meet in person.  Here Ed Sailes, greets Wandering Jew and his friend Sandra.  She has definitely 'civilized' WJ a bit...for the good. we enjoyed their company at the table that night.

Big Mike, the Moderator didn't hold back when he got his Oysters..

Neither did Anne. She got a Sampler of various types of broiled Oysters and shared it with Janet.

Lisa did in her Oysters then finished off a nice plate of Blackened Snapper.

Someone down the table enjoyed this nice combo plate. My notes don't identify the owner...but it sure disappeared quickly...

Our food servers were on top of all the requests and kept their sense of humor thru-out the evening.

We finished off the night with a stop in the hotel bar for a sample of Dales Banana Pudding that he brought  from his lunch stop... enjoyed by several folks with a nightcap beverage

Stay tuned for part two.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6229
    Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 4:54 PM (permalink)
    I was a happy camper with my oysters.  Polished off 3 dz. and didn't share with anybody!!    But I did let MH have a very small piece of the snapper and one shrimp.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
      Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 5:34 PM (permalink)
      Saturday turned out to be Sunny and brisk, and the group went in all diferent directions for the days activities.
      Some headed to Florida, others turned west to Mississippi. Still others explored Mobile. Everyone reported having a fine time.

The three of us, Al, Janet, and Anne headed west to Biloxi, MS to fins some nice beaches and check out the MS coast. We decided to make a stop at "THE SHED" one of the newer BBQ places that has drawn A lot of attention from the various Food and Travel Media channels. It is ramshackle place spread over a large area, with live music every weekend and a wide assortment of fine beers. Casual is 'way-overstating' the ambience at this place. The weak part of the whole business is the BBQ. It simply was not much good.  Super-soaked in a heavy sweet sauce, with little or not smoke to the flavor, It didn't come close to matching many of the other places the Glee Club has visited over the years...AND Especially the Brick Pit, our evening dinner location.
      So here is the Shed, looking like an ideal BBQ stop...but lacking any quality to its product.  We bought a $30 sampler platter to share...but left a lot of it on the table.

After the day-trip and a brief stop at the hotel before dinner, we headed out to the Brick Pit for the evening session.  This is one of the Best BBQ stops in the USA, folks. Bill Armbrechet, the owner, not only greeted each of us, but he offered tours of his smoking pit, and introduced us to his wife and little sweetheart of a daughter. Bill has been featured on several of the food-travel TV programs and maintains his composure thru all the hype, to be a genuine good friend of the Roadfood groups.
      Here he talks about his business with Anne Peeples.

Here he is with his little girl.

As we waited for dinner, everyone seemed to relax and smile...

Ribs seemed to be the top-choice for this session.. Here is Mike S, Janet, and WJ and Sandra, all involved with "Dem Bones". The Pork proved to be outstanding...and covered the poor memories of the earlier stop in Mississippi.

We filled two ong tables with loads of fine BBQ and a lot of freindly conversation.

Lisa and MH made the annual "Oinker" award, not for "Pigging Out" as was commented on, but for the best Trip Reports for the previous year. No one was suprised when BuffetBuster (Cliff) took the trophy....although, I think I heard WJ mutter that "Next Year, That Porker s mine!!"

After that , it was time to chat a bit, and then pack up and head back to the hotel (with a stop for some ice cream on the way).

On the ride north on Sunday, we shared the road, and lunch with Mike and P P and saw Lynn at one of the rest-stops. A good finish to a fine outing.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17828
        Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 7:05 PM (permalink)
        It was one wonderful weekend, and Mr. Mayor you did a hell of a job putting it all together. Thank you. I can't wait for the next one.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
          Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 9:25 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for sharing all of your reports with us!!

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 178
            Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 9:41 PM (permalink)
            Mr. Mayor,

Would you please put a list of names with the "Official" picture so we can get to know the new faces/ guilty parties of the forum.

I haven't made a meeting since thei Moonlight BBQ, but remember what a great time it was.

Thx

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 178
              Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 9:41 PM (permalink)
              Mr. Mayor,

Would you please put a list of names with the "Official" picture so we can get to know the new faces/ guilty parties of the forum.

I haven't made a meeting since thei Moonlight BBQ, but remember what a great time it was.

Thx

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 02/19/13 10:25 PM (permalink)
                I have never had a better time in my life, meeting people I have communicated with over the years. Honestly. Thanks to Al and Janet for suggesting a bus ride to their beautiful place, and the ride down. And to meet people that I have never seen, plus seeing people I have seen again......

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Wed, 02/20/13 3:57 AM (permalink)
                  Kathy--365--  OK here is the photo and a list of the folks included.

Front L to R--Mariton, Sterling,  Mike S, Janet, Mayor, ChiTwnDnr, Ralph
                  Back (head) Michael Hoffman, red shirt-Lisa, Ed Sailes, Buf-Buster, Pov Pete, Lynn work-4-bbq, Sandra, Wandering Jew, Anne Peeples, TTM/ Travelin'Man.

To repeat my positive comments about Bill and his business, I got a phone call Tuesday evening from Bill, thanking us for coming in and telling me how much he enjoyed the group and all the comradery with us that evening. He loves his work, and was very happy to hear so many good comments from the participants of the Glee Club meeting. As stated else I believe this was the "nicest" group meet-n-eat I have ever attended. Thanks to all for making it such a great success.
                  AL

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 400
                    Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Wed, 02/20/13 6:57 AM (permalink)
                    Ditto!  Me too!  Amen!  It was a fantastic trip!  Everything!  Everyone!  Loved  meeting new folks - Ann, Ed, Sterling, Mariton, Sandra, Mike!  And renewing acquaintances with all the others.  Oh!  ChiTownDiner, I am really enjoying my mini tomato pies from Burris - good recommendation!  Thanks to Al for the arrangements too - fantastic!  What a good time!

ann peeples

Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Wed, 02/20/13 7:15 AM (permalink)

Hi, Lynn! So good to meet you! Funniest moment? Meeting up with you at the rest stop, trying to take a pic of you and Poverty Pete-and me having the camera backwards and taking a big old shot of my face...lol!
                      I have never met a nicer bunch of people in my life. Honestly............
                      <message edited by ann peeples on Wed, 02/20/13 7:18 AM>

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 400
                        Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Wed, 02/20/13 7:19 AM (permalink)
                         Yes, the best!  I loved walking out of that building and seeing all of you one more time!

ann peeples

Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Wed, 02/20/13 7:48 AM (permalink)
                          By the way, it is only 6 degrees up here-40 and windy felt rather balmy in Alabama- And no green grass......

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
                            Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Fri, 03/15/13 3:38 AM (permalink)
                            Lynn, I agree it was great meeting you and all my other friends that I have "known" but never met in person.
                            Ann----high 70's in Mission Viejo today. You and Lisa better do that West Coast trip before you freeze your taste buds off!

ann peeples

Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Fri, 03/15/13 7:30 AM (permalink)
                              Well, at least it hit 40 yesterday.sigh.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Tue, 03/19/13 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                Great reports , thanks for sharing
                                Love the Hawaiin shirts as always
                                Benzee

morningglory

• Total Posts: 559
                                  Re:2013 Glee Club Weekend - Official Thread Mon, 04/15/13 3:17 AM (permalink)
                                  Long gone...sorry. Love this report & pics of posters!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com