The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicken of the Month

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4724
Chicken of the Month Wed, 02/13/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
A few weeks ago I decided I needed to be a bit more organized and a bit less random for 2013...in other words, I needed a theme that I could have some fun with.  So after giving it a bit of thought I came up with the idea of expanding my chicken horizons with an emphasis on the fried variety, and doing so on a monthly basis.  The next 12 months may bring some great finds, some clunkers, and probably a lot of "pretty good"s so without further ado:

January

I've mentioned the Winchester Restaurant at the Edgerton Oasis before and since the menu describes the chicken as "our own recipe" I figured it would be as good a place to start as any.

Since it was a snowy day my soup-or-salad option was the chili, and ignoring the "beans/no beans" argument it was very good.  The heat level was fairly mild, the consistency was good, and it had plenty of ground beef and pieces of tomato; it would be just fine by itself.

I didn't feel like fried potatoes so I went with mashed, which came with brown gravy.  Now to be perfectly honest I have trouble differentiating between the real thing and instant potatoes, but they didn't seem overly smooth and the gravy was good.

But I wasn't there for chili and potatoes, I was there for the chicken.

It reminded me somewhat of the chicken I'd had at Jack's Chicken Palace in Dubuque a few weeks earlier: crisp, hot, and juicy but with the emphasis on the meat more than the crust.  So it was a good meal but not spectacular; I don't think I'd call it a destination dinner but it would certainly be on my list if was looking over the menu or sitting at home with a taste for some fried chicken.  The Winchester serves up consistently good food (at least what I've ordered) and this was no exception, although I think I would've rather had more chili in place of the "northern style" (no bacon) green beans.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com