It's not easy being cheesy

Author
heyheymon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2013/02/15 16:09:15 (permalink)

It's not easy being cheesy

Hey all, newbie here! I've been reading some really good information here for a while so I thought it time to chime in. I'm down in Louisiana and I've just purchased an 18' Airstream for a steal and I'm going to convert it to a food truck. It's not the traditional food truck, I won't be cooking, I'll be a mobile cheese shop. You can go all over Europe and find these awesome trucks and trailers that sell cheese in these built-in refrigerated deli counters, but can't seem to find any here in the states so I'm creating one, or at least something similar to one.

I need to have my deli case pretty low, so that when the customer is standing on the outside of the truck, the deli case is at eye level with them so they can see the cheeses. So I need a big opening, at least 5 feet wide. It would be just like walking into a shop, up to the counter, tasting samples, etc. so a sliding door or window won't work for me, I basically need the side of the trailer opened up. There are a couple of panels that can be removed to accomplish this, so I don't think (fingers crossed) any cutting will have to be done. I will just need to figure out how to close it up when I'm done.

My biggest question is what type of door/window/etc.  can I use to close up and lock down.  

Does anyone have any experience with roll up doors on their trucks? I don't see them around too much on trailers and I never hear anyone talking about them but I've seen some online specifically for RV's and trucks. I've managed to find someone who can install it for me if I use that. I've seen some installed on the inside as well as outside and I don't know which would be better and why, are they leak proof, are they a pain to deal with, etc....?

I've seen a lot of trucks/trailers with the gull-wing type of opening that's also used as an awning. They are usually on smaller trailers I think. Now, I am a girl and I don't know much about construction or building things, but it seems to me that if I use that type of door on this large of an opening it would throw my trailer off balance....? and/or be heavy as all heck...? and not everyone seems to like those gas pistons either so how else do you hold it up? 

Any insight, opinions or things to consider in making a decision would be much appreciated!

8 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1