Hood and Electrical Ideas

Author
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
2013/02/21 22:43:33 (permalink)

Hood and Electrical Ideas

Hola everyone-I'm getting into the food truck scene after years in the kitchen and this forum has been an amazing inspiration for thoughts and ideas for my journey to come.

I have two questions/ideas I wanted to run by everyone to see what your thoughts were.  First is the hood-I was very fortunate to spend lots of time with the Captive Aire guys on a restaurant build we did a few years ago and did a little learning from the process.  As I see with the available concession and low proximity hoods its simply exhaust only-which is fine as it does exactly as it should.  With an open (Screened) window or some roof vents/fans there is the constant influx of fresh air to supply the balance needed.  From what I understand those with AC (and I'm in South Florida, AC is a must...almost everyday!!!!) have issues keeping the truck/trailer cool due to the constant cycle of fresh air in from fans/vents and out through the hood.

My question would be the possibility of doing a make up air.  The hood companies have some options for rear plenums and for hood plenums but they take up a good bit of space and, since I'm 6'5", that's not so feasible.  Also it poses the issue of where to put a makeup fan, the ducting, etc.  My idea was to install two high output inline blower fans (nearly matching the CFM of the exhaust) and running that through some make shift ducting and running across the back of the equipment.  I would install the fans underneath the truck and with the duct running the length of the hood it will supply all the necessary air to have a fully balanced system-without pulling any of the "clean" and cool air from the cabin.  Simple inline fans, easy ducting, a filter on the intake side and diffused enough for even flow.  Low electrical draw too.  Thoughts on this?

As for the electrical I was originally going to go with a diesel generator and just have one large enough to run all the electrics.  After reading Reese's fantabulous thread I thought about going the battery method and then thought about doing a well developed (yet costly) hybrid system.  I want to have a big AC...between 24k-36k BTU (remember, South Florida and plus-I've been in 120 degree kitchens long enough...if I can I wouldn't mind a little AC if possible) and then the normal mix of things-lights (flourescent and led), TV, maybe stereo, pumps, hood fan/makeup air, etc.  Guestimating about 40ish amps or so at any given time.

Since the AC requires 240 my idea was to have a split phase inverter/charger that was fed from a 2 banks of 4ea  6v 255-350AH batteries (larger split phase inverters require 24V).  For on the road power I would have a normal/portable sized diesel generator with 240V output powering a 60 (maybe 100) amp charger that charges/maintaines the batteries.  That way, with a very reasonable load (and economical fuel usage) the batteries can stay charged enough to endure just about whatever I threw at them and can be re-charged as needed.  The inverter I was looking at (AIMS 6000W Inverter/Charger) has auto generator on and built in charger so when on shore power the batteries will be bypassed from usage but will be charged.  Auto transfer switch would feed shore power to electrical panel or would feed generator power to batteries/inverter/panel.

Very expensive initial investment-but I think fuel savings alone might make it worth while over the course of the year.  Plus the batteries will stay topped off enough to help keep them lasting longer than constant draining/charging so it might work out ok.  Thoughts?  Does that even make sense?

Sorry such a long first post but thanks in advance for any ideas or concerns.  I do appreciate ya!

10 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1