The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ Slaw

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
BBQ Slaw Sun, 03/14/04 10:52 PM (permalink)
In my ongoing effort to educate myself on such matters, I have noted that at some of the BBQ establishments written about in these forums, writers have noted that they partook of 'bbq slaw' The first several times I heard of this, I more or less assumed this was regular old cole slaw...after all, slaw is almost ubiquitously paired with bbq here in Cincinnati, many people eating slaw-topped bbq sandwiches.

However, the more I read of this, the more I think this is a different breed of slaw altogether. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Sundancer7

RE: BBQ Slaw Mon, 03/15/04 8:48 AM (permalink)
    When Bushie, The Mayor, Pogophile, Poverty Pete and JimInKy did our BBQ tour a few weeks ago, several of the establishments offered BBQ slaw. It was basically chopped cabbage with their BBQ sauce used.

If you happened to like their sauce, you would like their slaw.

The Sundancer personally prefers a creamy sweet slaw with my BBQ. Others seem to like the BBQ slaw very well.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
      RE: BBQ Slaw Mon, 03/15/04 9:10 AM (permalink)
      Thanks for the reply, Mr. Smith.

I am thinking that most great meals involve balance between textures and flavors, ergo your classic cole slaw (creamy and mild) goes well with your ribs (smokey/spicey/salty).....I have never understood why people wants baked beans with ribs, seem too much alike to be in combination.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
        RE: BBQ Slaw Tue, 04/13/04 3:52 PM (permalink)
        Barbecue slaw in North Carolina varies almost as much as the barbecue itself. There is some that is mayonaisse based , but with tomato sauce and chili powder and several other spices added. Then, there is slaw made with vinegar and sugar and salt and pepper. Then, some people even make a barbecue slaw with mustard based ingredients. And then some people just use standard coleslaw with mayonaisse on their barbecues. Just depends on where you are.

wilewil

• Total Posts: 99
          RE: BBQ Slaw Wed, 04/14/04 12:31 PM (permalink)
          In some places bbq slaw is a mustard and pickle added item. Regular cole slaw mix with mustard and some pickle relish or cubes added. Chattanooga had several of these places, and I have seen others around in E. Tennessee or N. Alabama.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com