Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now?

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2013/03/03 19:43:29 (permalink)

Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now?

I have to admit that I generally don't keep up with trends, especially urban ones. Just a few years ago, I learned to wrap my mind around chicken and waffles as bi-coastal urban fare. Only place that I know of that's following that trend down here is IHOP or at least was based on some commercials that I seen a while ago.

So now the ante has been upped for chicken and red velvet waffles as trendy, high urban eats? I heard this for the first time on TV associated with the rapper Flavor Flav. I checked on the net and apparently it's been around a while with the addition of cocoa powder and red food coloring in the waffle batter. New to me though.

11 Replies Related Threads

HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1076
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 11:14:00 (permalink)
    Never heard of this one.You can indeed get chicken and waffles at IHOP,except their chicken tenders.The whole concept does'nt appeal to me.
    Why maybe because I can't wrap my brain around the idea of eating the two together.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 12:15:56 (permalink)
    There are a few places in NYC serving Chicken & RV Waffles.

I don't think I could get past the ghastly shade of red velvet anything.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8666
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 13:29:15 (permalink)
    Red Velvet cake was my go to birthday cake in the 60's. Thats what Mom made me. Her recipe was homemade, from the original restaurant( hotel) that served it.Not at all sweet, as the new recipes seem to be-and I never liked sweet. I also like German chocolate cake if made corretly-sweet but the additions of pecans made it sweet and savory. I have, however, always liked chicken served with honey. Again, sweet and savory is my favorite. Keep the waffles, dont like them, but like chicken, fried, if done right, with a pinch of honey.
    DawnT
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 14:31:32 (permalink)
    There's something that's changed over the years Ann. When I was a kid, any sit-down restaurant that served a plated fried chicken dinner served it with or offered honey as a condiment. Once fried chicken became a fast food product that seemed to cease. The only chain I ever remember that offered honey in packets as a standard condiment later was the old Chicken Unlimited chain for a while during the early '70's.

AFAIK, we don't have any chains down here that serve the waffle combo besides IHOP, if they do, they're not making much noise about it. While the color red doesn't bother me in a food product, I don't know if I could cotton up to red waffles.

I've seen red velvet cake offered in grocery store bakeries as a regular cake, but never had it until I  moved to TN where it seems that it's a common, home made sheet cake with cream cheese icing. They even served trays of it in the Golden Corral's up there as standard fare. From what I gather that the variety common in those parts is the cake soaked in sugar and milk or some sort of a corn syrup mixture for a very moist and almost wet texture. While we're on the subject, I seen some of the best tasting, crispy pan fried chicken made while I lived up there, only to have someone pour a thin, almost tasteless milk gravy all over it. I guess to each region, their own, yet to me it's like defilement of something wonderful. 

Edit: milk gravy
    post edited by DawnT - 2013/03/06 14:37:51
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 14:40:44 (permalink)
    The shade of RV that results on a waffle... would certainly not make the prettiest crayon on the box...

http://socobk.com/dinner/lunch

Marone...

http://www.foodspotting.c...ffle-and-fried-chicken
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/03/06 14:46:38
    DawnT
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 15:34:48 (permalink)
    When I searched the inital RVW & Chicken, the prices were coming up $18-$24  for 2-3 pieces of chicken that appeared pullet sized, a waffle, and two sides like mac and cheese and homesyle fries on the west coast. Looks like that's about the same in your neck of the woods CC. $19 and no sides. Overheads must be awfully high. Maybe I need to talk to my financial advisor about investing in REITS.

Every time I hear the word "fusion" it makes me cringe. Not that the tastes probably aren't interesting, but the liberties they take with the cuisines that are so removed from traditional, it often bears no resemblance.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 17:22:33 (permalink)
    I can't help but wonder if someone in the research department at Lay's is reading this thread and getting ideas.

DawnT
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/06 17:36:30 (permalink)
    Red chips? R&D must have missed the trend.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2519
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/10 14:22:49 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I got enough Red Dye over the years, it's good to see they are coming up with new Red dye ideas. I guess if the red dye doesn't kill me, the fried chicken will......................Can't wait for summer vacation in NYC, the Bakeries are all Red velvet everything...........
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/03/12 16:33:54 (permalink)
    To add to my comment above, as you probably know by now, Lay's has come out with these Chicken and Waffles potato chips.

And if you have noticed over the years, once Lay's has spent a lot of R&D money on a flavor, they'll put it in every product they have at their disposal--as well as mix it up with every kind of flavor they have in their product inventory.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see Lay's putting out Chicken and Waffles Doritos, or Chicken and Waffles Cheetohs, or Chicken and Waffles Ranch Doritos, or Chicken and Waffles Barbecued potato chips, or Chicken and Waffles Sour Cream and Onion potato chips, or Chicken and Waffles Jalapeno Cheetohs.

Therefore, if they add coating to their Chicken and Waffles potato chips that tastes like Red Velvet cake, it would seem like a natural next step in their commercial exploitation of a flavor.

post edited by Louis - 2013/03/12 16:37:01
    mhkyeung
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Chicken and Red Velvet Waffles Now? 2013/07/15 20:22:15 (permalink)
    Just tried one for the first time recently
    Mine has a lot of syrup in the middle, but turned out to be quite decent
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1